“Order the collard greens, stay for the psychic reading” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Southern Accent

Southern Accent
Ranked #247 of 8,405 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Toronto, Canada
“Order the collard greens, stay for the psychic reading”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is a great place where you can order a sit-down dinner, or just a bunch of sides for a large party. My favourite dishes are the collard greens and the pickled okra.

The decor is really unique and there are multiple rooms which have their own feel, and some small tables which are almost hidden by curtains.

My friends threw a surprise party for me here and the staff was very patient and helpful with us. Two of us also got to do the psychic reading, which was quite the experience!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank sherbear82
SouthernAccent595, Owner at Southern Accent, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Glad that we could be part of your special day:) Were you surprised?! Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us.

“Unique, fun, delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

About a week ago I decided to check out Southern Accent after hearing raving reviews from others. As I walked down the street full of older homes on Markham St I thought the area was fairly quaint. Then I realized the restuarant was in an old house....then the night got even better.

From outside Southern Accent looks pretty funky. Once you walk in its even more funky! The decor is ridiculous (in a good way). Tons of cool pictures, very colourful and an overall fun atmosphere.

The day I went it was a bit quiet inside not too many people. There is a psychic on the first floor to give you life advice. At $40 for a few minutes its a bit pricey but cool that they had one.
As I sat down I kept looking around at the cool decor. I felt like I was in New Orleans.

Now to the good stuff...food! We ordered the sweet potato fries, cat fish and jambalaya. Everything was amazing and tasted perfect. The sweet potato fries had a mayo dip that is the best I've ever had. Our server was a witty and extremely nice guy who chatted with us and gave us some advice on the menu. They also had some awesome lemonade!

Overall, this place was amazing! Great food, fantastic service, awesome decor. I will be spreading the word about the place but also heading back soon!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I wonder which of our witty staff served you...we have a few! Thanks for the review Manjinder.
“Fantastic food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had a great dinner. Love the food and atmosphere! We were visiting family and they raved about the food and atmosphere and they were right. We will definitely be back!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SouthernAccent595, Owner at Southern Accent, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thanks so much! We've been here for 29 years, so you can rest assured that we'll be here when you come back;)
Tenby, United Kingdom
“Incredbily unique and tasty!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was vising friends in Toronto from the UK and they were boasting about "southern accent" for a good week before we went there!

This place is amazing. Its the cutest and most unique restaurant I've ever been to! I've never been to new Orleans but really felt like I'd experienced a slice of it. The cocktails were incredbile, the food was delicious..all 3 courses!!

I wish I could have brought it back with me in my suitcase! It was a warm, relaxing atmosphere, but without being too informal I still felt as though I was in a restaurant. The outside seating is amazing and just so adorable.

I love Southern Accent and WHEN i come back to Toronto it will be first on my list!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks Rachel! We try our best to bring a little piece of N'awlins to Toronto, so its lovely to hear that you felt the authenticity in our atmosphere.
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Service paired with great food and drinks! What more could I ask for?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

When you go to a restaurant, sure you want good food. But what makes an experience unforgettable is the quality and uniqueness of the service. That's what I found here.

We began by meeting the bartender/server, Richard. Definitely have to give this guy a shout out. A delightful English man who was charming, witty, and upbeat with a hint of sarcastic humour. It's exactly the type of service I like when going to a restaurant. A quick quirky conversation and a unique way of presenting the menu to those who are new to Cajun food. He definitely knew his stuff but added an obvious yet hilarious up-sell bias on everything - perfect because it worked on us. And yet everything he recommended was absolutely delicious. Although in most places, sides can be substituted. There was a certain way of making entrees seem personal and completely customizable that I really appreciated, maybe just his tactic to get us to order more. In the world of sales, that's exactly what you do - get them to like you and they buy more. And buy more we did.

We started with a round of drinks. He makes a mean caesar - trust me it's a bit angry. Jalapenos infused into vodka (? - maybe something else). It makes you want this caesar to somehow be bottomless (bottomless alcohol is not recommended for family gatherings).

For appetizers, we had blackened chicken livers. If you've ever had liver, you know that there's a distinct taste and texture that some might find "different". I'm not sure if it was the voodoo magic of their cooking, but everything that I often find "different" about livers weren't present. The blackening spices were exactly what the livers needed to make it delicious. Spices together with their garlic bread took away that dry texture. It was brilliant.

For the entree, I took on the beef brisket and substituted the grits for a garden salad. Portion is something they do well here if you like to eat more. Three portions of beef briskets that were so juicy and lathered generously with their savory smokin maple bourbon chipotle bbq sauce. Quite the deadly combo - literally I would kill to have another one (maybe?).

Their decadent pecan pie - Richard claims to be the best. I'm not a huge pecan pie consumer. Alls I know is that it was delicious beyond comparison of any other pies I've had. But the best pecan pie? I'll have to do my research on that.

So what more could you ask for? There's delicious food. Great drinks. Quick and unforgettable service with interjecting wit from Richard. From this experience, I'll be back with friends, and sooner rather than later.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We'll pass on your compliments to Richard! Thanks so much for the positive review:)