“Over-priced and over-cooked.”

Safari Bar & Grill - North York
Reserve with OpenTable
Safari Bar & Grill - North York is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,971 of 8,440 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian, Grill, Pub, Fusion
Good for: Kids, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: North End
Toronto, ON
“Over-priced and over-cooked.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

OK, I went to Safari's bar and grill based on the two good reviews here but in the end I was very disappointed with this place. I must disagree strenuously (but respectfully) with the reviewer who stated this place was "pretty gourmet". What we had was mere pub food, and rather mediocre pub fare at that. The waiter was not so much rude as seemed not to "give a damn". Service could have been better, given the joint was half-empty when we visited.

Both meals we had were disappointing. Their lamb burger: overcooked and dry, and not a single drop of their so-called "signature garlic yogurt" could be discerned. My spouse had the warm spinach salad which supposedly comes with pancetta but there was no pancetta in the salad we got (unless those tiny bacon bit specks were the pancetta). When we complained about the absence of protein the waiter took the salad back to the kitchen in a huff, and came back with 3 or 4 cut strips of grilled chicken breast and brought it back with an “I hope you’re satisfied, now” attitude. And so it goes. Two unsatisfied customers who won't be returning.

I could blame the waitstaff and the kitchen, but ultimately this reflects on the owners and managers. I don't wish any business to fail and I sincerely hope that they will take thoughtful criticism and bring up the standards of their kitchen, and the quality of the service.

The kicker? I was looking for a pub-like restaurant near Hwy 401 to hold a reunion of sorts with some old buddies, and so I went there deliberately to try it out based on the trip advisor reviews and the “Awards of Excellence” logos on their website. Am glad I checked it out beforehand: the food we had here was exceedingly disappointing, and so I did not end up holding the reunion here.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank syncopation1234

Kitchener, Canada
“Great Patio and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Had lunch with a friend on the patio yesterday and it was great. The food is always tasty and the staff are very friendly. Karen sat with us for a few minutes to chat while we waited for our meals. The Pizzadilla was so good but the burgers are also amazing and I always order the salmon when it is featured. This weather is ideal for enjoying their patio. Highly recommend this place.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Bachatadave
Toronto
“Really suprising”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

I was expecting "pub" food, but it was actually pretty gourmet. They had some seasonal menu that we all ate from and the it was great. The fish taco and veggie taco we had another time we are very good!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Swirv99
Toronto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2010

Great neighbourhood spot, food is better than expected, service is always friendly and outstanding wine list.

1 Thank FrankPT