“Never again, Rosedale Diner”
Review of Rosedale Diner

Rosedale Diner
Ranked #683 of 8,897 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: South of Summerhill
Transit: We are located on Yonge Street, just south of the Summerhill Subway station, but the walk up from Rosedale is not too far.
Description: Kicking around midtown since 1978, The Rosedale Diner has earned its status as one of Toronto's most iconic restaurants. Famous for its Bohemian style and Israeli flair, it serves lunch on weekdays, brunch on weekends, and dinner every evening from 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I'm a former server who has worked in restos for years, so I reeeeeally tried to give a little benefit of the doubt. Wish I wasn't writing this review. I waited a couple of weeks to see if I might change my mind about submitting this but was just so disappointed and disgusted that I felt this needed to be said. I've had lunch or dinner at Rosedale Diner probably 6 times after a friend recently suggested it. It was on my list of favourite spots. However, during our last two dinners there we had below average to lousy service. It just seems as though the servers don't care!! But what completely turned us off a couple of weeks ago was the tiny field mouse that ran through the dining room and under our table on our last visit :( Granted, this is an older neighbourhood and an old building. But the waitress' indifference, complete lack of empathy or concern bundled with her lame explanation ("...oh, the back door must be open... that happens sometimes when the back door is left open...") was most infuriating. I'm not joking, '...that happens sometimes...' is how she explained away carelessness that compromises sanitary conditions??!!! A woman having dinner at the next table also downplayed things but at least she took out her cell phone flashlight, got on her hands and knees and looked under our table to ensure the mouse "wasn't there" anymore. (But where did it go??!!!) And keep in mind that was another diner who tried to console our group. There was no apology from the waitstaff, no offer to buy us drinks, dessert, no offer to comp our meal... nothing. Just indifference. We were a group of 5 who hadn't seen each other for a while, some had travelled quite a distance to get there (via different cars and transit). We didn't cause a scene or make a fuss, we just didn't want this to completely ruin our holiday get-together. Maybe that's what would have stirred up a little response ... earned us an apology... something?? It was Easter/Passover weekend so it was a slow night and we were the last people in the restaurant at maybe 10 or 10:30 pm. And to add insult to injury, the servers rudely sorted / polished cutlery behind our table (whatever they were doing was loud and annoying) while we were finishing our tea and wine. The strong smell of pine cleaner from elsewhere in the restaurant wafted out to the dining area to remind us that we were no longer welcome.
Well don't worry, you'll never see us again.

2  Thank TorontoShirazGal

Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stopped in for a late lunch.

The decor and menu are much fresher than the building's tired structural elements. The net effect creates a slightly unbalanced feeling.

Service was beyond reproach despite the full room.

Our plates were reasonably well conceived and presented. However, the bison burger patty's seasoning lacked inspiration. The mid-east plate provides a nice variety, but doesn't stand out.

All in all, I left slightly - very slightly - disappointed.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

A great place to eat. Particular advantage they are always open. The service is friendly and helpful. The menu has many Middle Eastern dishes. My favourite are the Lambburgers served in a pita instead of a bun and they are served with fries. However there are many optional extras and the fries can be replaced by a salad ( extra charges may apply) I personally love the flexibility.

Reviewed December 17, 2011

Liked the menu, good service too. Exceptional burger. Hard to eat there for us as there is nothing organic on the menu, not even eggs for brunch. Would be better if offered organic eggs at least, if not chicken or meat. wild salmon would be better than atlantic.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

Loved the place. No wonder that they are still very popular after 30 years in business.