“Very good dinner (but overpriced desserts)”
Review of Paganelli's - CLOSED

Paganelli's
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Jarvis & Front
Transit: Closest streetcar/bus stop is located at King Street and Jarvis Street. Closest subway station is King or Union.
Description: We are a fine dining Italian specializing in cuisines from North Eastern region called Emilia-Romagna region of Italy. Our popular dishes include a variety of pasta (mostly hand-made), risottos, pizzas and cured salami and salumi. Our chef, Gabriele Paganelli has won many awards world wide. You will be pleasantly surprised at our quality and service!
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Overall my wife and I were quite pleased with this restaurant. All of the food we had was very delicious and full of flavour. I've been to some mediocre Italian places recently with pretty bland food, but the Paganelli's fare is quite good.

The portions are adequate. Not particularly large, but not particularly small either.

The service was very good--friendly and attentive.

The prices for main courses are reasonable; however, we split a dessert that was tasty but very overpriced--$11 for a single scoop of sorbet and a tiny piece of cake. C'mon. Also, note that the website menu has outdated/lower dessert prices than what you'll find in the actual restaurant. The website lists the dessert prices as $8/$9, whereas in reality they're all $11 (except for the gelato). All of the other website prices seem accurate.

Also, we went with a Groupon and received the "salumi side dish" that's provided on the house if you go on certain days of the week. Although the Groupon made it seem like we'd receive a real side dish ("up to a $10 value"), in reality it's just a half dozen very thinly sliced pieces of salami. Although I'm a bit hesitant to complain about something free, the fact is that the way this perk is described is quite misleading.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We arrived on a weekday night and were seated quickly. The waitress was very nice and helped us find something for our two children to eat. The prosciutto was perfect and a great way to start the meal. We both ordered the Arrabbiata penne which was delicious but the portion was about half the size I expected. We did order dessert which is why this place gets 4 stars. We waited over 10 minutes for the dessert to come out, and when it did I was not impressed at all. Extremely small portion of dessert which we were told you could split between two people for $10. Skip the dessert and this place was good.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We booked a table at Paganelli's using promotional coupons whereby you get fixed menu for two for the price of one. This was in effect an excellent value given the size of portions and quality of ingredients and prep. Unfortunately, it was raining, so we could not sit outside on their porch, whic would have been ideal this summer. Risotto was not traditional, but it was interesting enough not to have failed. The soup was very good and served in a dish that was between the plate and a cup ... good idea. Other mains were very good ... calamari with prawns were nicely seasoned, cooked to perfection, soft and tender, and nicely presented. The desert was traditional tiramisu, nothing special, but correct. We will likely go to Paganelli's again, but next time order from a regular menu to sample greater variety of dishes.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Walked up and down front street twice before we found the restaurant which is located within an office complex and couldn't ring bell to get in

1  Thank farrellPortlaoise
Reviewed June 4, 2013

my boyfriend and I had a groupon for Paganelli's and were excited for dinner having read many good reviews. Unfortunately we were let down by the experience. We were late for our reservation (I did call to move the time back however) but right from the start the manager made some snarky remark like 'yah they are 31 minutes late' before seating us. I also mentioned we had a groupon and he retorted back 'you need to book that 24 hours in advance' even though I had made the reservation well over 48 overs in advance. Our server only had one other table but we were basically ignored and even greeting us and filling our water glass took several minutes. For dinner we ordered the wild boar pasta and the lamb entree. The complementary salami dish was delicious, but a very very tiny portion. Our food arrived beautifully presented and hot, but compared to the pictures people had posted online, it seems as though we received a much tinier portion (perhaps because we had a groupon?) my lamb entree for $29 dollars was appetizer sized with a few tiny cut up pieces and a small pile of vegetables. For the price paid I would've expected a much bigger serving size. We skipped the dessert menu and went for ice cream across the road at McDonalds instead. I don't like writing bad reviews but the whole experience was just so bad that I have no desire to go back there.

1  Thank laura v