“Oyster' paradise”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Description: Rodney Clark has been offering oysters to the masses in Toronto for over 30 years. Our selection changes daily, but we carry on average 12-18 different varieties from around the world. We also strive to offer the finest in fresh seafood, sourced from sustainable fisheries - as we work primarily with fresh product, you'll have to come down and see what's coming through our doors this week.
“Oyster' paradise”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I've been there with a friend. Great selection of oysters. Served in an original way (a small basket full of ice). We shared also a big plate of salad. Great atmosphere inside and outside in the garden. Prices are reasonable.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
“An Enjoyable Meal in Town”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Not only was the food tasty and fresh but our delightful server made this a fun time at Rodney's. We sampled around the menu having a wonderful bowl of crab soup Canadian style (I'm a Marylander and we have some great crab soup in our restaurants). it was a bit spicy but not enough to hide the taste of the nice pieces of crab meat floating in the broth. Then we shared an excellent shrimp cocktail with some okay cocktail sauce. The shrimp were large and steamed just right maintaining a perfect texture. I had a side salad that was fresh and so attractively prepared that I did not want to destroy the artistic design on the plate. And the house dressing was a lemon flavor which brought out the taste of the greens. Soon after we finished those appetizers. our server greeted us with our two 1.5 pound lobsters that had been steamed (and no water poured out on our plates) and cut so we could eat the meat without hammering and digging into the shells. Along with the yummy lobsters, we had the French fries and they were grease free and perfectly fried. If you want to see where we ate - check out the How to Eat a Lobster video at http://rodneysoysterhous…

This meal was all about the preparation of the seafood. Not only was the seafood fresh but the kitchen staff knows how to cook the shrimp and the lobster to the right texture. This is not always so as I have chewed my way through many a shrimp cocktail and steamed lobster. We had a little space for dessert and ordered a rice pudding. It was definitely homemade and not too sweet. However, it needed some cinnamon to help with the taste as it was a bit bland. Our wonderful server who told us she has worked for Rodney for 24 years, brought out the cinnamon shaker for us to use.

If you have read some of my other reviews you know how I complain about the plastic bag bread that is served in many restaurants. Not Rodney's as they served us a small basket of delicious whole grain bread topped with delicious rye. In order to save myself some calories, I pulled off the crust, ate it, and left the interior of the bread behind.

Also the restaurant makes some great brewed iced tea and stores it in the cold case in Mason jars. Our server opened the lid of the jar and poured the chilled amber colored liquid into our glasses for us to enjoy.

I checked out the restroom and found some interesting photos of naked men and other oddities of human behavior. My husband said there were photos of naked women in the men's room and also some other oddities as well. Obviously Rodney knows how to keep people happy at all times in his establishment even in the restrooms.

So Rodney's turned out to be a fine place to dine and a memorable experience as well. The prices are high but the food and the service were worth every Canadian dollar we spent that evening.

michigan
“Scallops were awesome!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place had been recommended to my husband and I when he asked where to go for seafood. This place was awesome. I read a few reviews regarding the price. To me all of Toronto is overpriced, so this fits right in with the rest of the the dining establishments. I had Scallops and they came on a bed of sauted mushrooms, halved cherry tomatoes and spinach. It was amazing! My husband had the grilled halibut on corn relish. We also had six oysters. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful in suggesting oysters to your liking. They also shred the horseradish right at the bar. The oysters are shucked in view as well. We had a wonderful dining experience there.

1 Thank jrb5
Calgary, Canada
“Great Service, Atmosphere, and Chowder!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I visited Toronto last month to see Taylor Swift, and ate here before going to see the concert. It was a phenomenal atmosphere--it looks a little dingy as you go in, but don't let that fool you. It has a real authentic feel--they have tanks of the seafood right beside the restaurant. Our server was incredibly friendly and helpful, and instantly made us feel right at home. We had enjoyed a big lunch earlier in the day, so I decided to go light and have a bowl of clam chowder. It was the best clam chowder I've ever tasted! While we were eating, I was talking to our server, and he told us about their oyster bar. I'm definitely going back to sit at the counter and eat some freshly-shucked oysters!! All in all, a fantastic experience in downtown Toronto. In addition, it's within walking distance of pretty much everything downtown.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank AlbertaTourist77
Vancouver, Canada
“Biggest and best selection of oysters”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We visited Toronto and ate here on a recommendation and I hope to pass that on to you. Rodney's is amazing. When you enter you are greeted with incredible tanks (biggest I've ever seen) of fresh lobster, crab, king crab and clams. From there you go into the dining area that is framed by a huge selection of oysters. We ate here a couple times on our trip and tried at least twenty different kinds of fresh oysters. I can't even imagine the challenges they go to by bringing in such a variety of fresh oysters. We had oysters from the east and west coast as well as some unique ones such as the Kumamoto oyster and the pemaquids. These are all served raw on the half shell, which made sense, why would you want to cook such a beautiful thing? Our favourites were the PEI oysters, they proved popular with those around us as well. Our oysters were served on a bed of crushed ice with fresh grated horseradish, lemon and a selection of Rodney's sauces that are made in the restaurant. I good go on to review those, they're that good. The oysters are sold by the piece so you aren't locked into buying six or a dozen etc... We just made some choices and took their recommendations. All spot on. We also shared a lobster one night (served with melted butter and potato wedges) and had crab another time. Both were lip-smacking. This is the freshest seafood we've had (outside of on the dock) and the place is as cool they come. I highly recommend a trip to Rodney's Oyster House!

• Visited April 2013