“Yummy BBQ!!”

Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Neighborhood: Downtown
“Yummy BBQ!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We visited Phil's after seeing 'you gotta eat here' and you really should. We had the brisket and a BBQ platter and we were not disappointed. Restaurant was quieter than we expected, but it was Monday night. I would recommend and most certainly be going back soon.

• Visited December 2012

Toronto
“Ok...place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I liked the food...but didnt love it. I bit over rated and the pulled pork was a bit dry. I wouldn't go again..but only because there are better places...not because its not a decent place to eat

Visited May 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Phil'er up, that's some good BBQ!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Phil's BBQ is a solid BBQ experience in Toronto, though a bit of work on some important aspects of their business would bring their rating up a notch. Located at College and Ossington, Phil's is a good way to start out a night on the town. Phil's has been featured on the TV show "You Gotta Eat Here" and for the most part, their right, though being on TV does raise your expectations of Phil's. The atmosphere at Phil's is pretty plain, decent music, though a touch on the loud side with walls that are largely bare except for a couple of music posters. It seems to be missing a bit of swag. The service was friendly, though a tad slow. Admittadly, the server told us that someone called in sick leaving only him to serve, It just seems that there should be more than two people working on a Saturday night for that reason alone. The food is the big winner at Phil's. Solid sized portions are complimented by delicious, tasty food. The ribs are fall off the bone awesome. A nice, smoky flavour with a BBQ sauce with bite. It is a thing of beauty, for sure! The chicken was tender and again the portions were of decent size. The coleslaw, potato salad, smoky beans and fries were all solid side dishes. I highly recommend the smoky beans, so good!! The prices at Phil's are not cheap, but definitely in the range of most BBQ in Canada. For $23 dollars for a pound of ribs and two sides, though not cheap, is not overpriced especially since it is quality eats. Though a little work is needed on the service provided, it is friendly and reasonable. I had a qualm over my bill, it was immediately rectified with an apology. I do appreciate that. I would highly recommend a trip to Phil's on a night that you plan on heading to Little Italy to do some clubbing and or bar hopping. If you like that smoky BBQ flavour, Phil's BBQ is a must to try in Toronto!

• Visited November 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Mediocre food - terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I love BBQ and I have been to many places. Ordered the Pulled Pork Sandwich and was very disappointed. The pulled pork was very very dry, not smothered in BBQ sauce (or at least have a trace of it). The Coleslaw tasted like out of a bucket, not freshly made. Food aside - the service was terrible.
I had made a reservation for 6 (professionals between 30 and 40), but only 5 of us ended up showing up as one friend had to work late. They still (for 5 people!) put everything on one bill and added a default tip of 15%. They know why - because otherwise they wouldn't get a tip. The waiter walked away halfway through my order (Diet Coke, no ice, with a lime wedge) - all he heard was Diet Coke - which he brought... WITH ice. It took forever to get our bill, it took forever for him to come to the table with the machine and the entire time, only about 3 tables were occupied in the restaurant. Shame! I had high expectations and was thoroughly disappointed!

• Visited October 2012
Thornbury
“High Expectation, Big Disapointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had heard of Phil's, and had to try it. I went on a Wednesday night at 7:30pm. The place was empty. I sat by the window, and the server came with a menu and took my drink order. When he came with my drink, I ordered the sampler - Ribs, Brisket and Chicken, and picked Beans and Coleslaw as my sides. The food came 30 mins later, looked ok, but looks are deceiving. First the beans, could have been canned libbys deep brown breans, not homemade, and not good. The Coleslaw, they have a mustard something vinegar slaw, very sour and did not taste fresh, and I did not like it. The Ribs, I got 2 Ribs, St. Louis Style Side ribs. They looked chared, and they were, but were edible. Most dissapointing was the sauce. Not good Phil, Sorry, but not good. The ribs were cooked fine, but the sauce did not help, and by themselves, not much flavour. No hint of dry rub or seasoning. Brisket - Tender, smokey flavour, but very fatty. They must have sliced the "point" instead of the leaner "flat". And the sauces that are are the table did not help. Lastly, the Chicken - a 1/4 white with the wing. Wow, it was very dry. So dry. It was inedible. I did mention the dry chicken to my server, and they comped my one glass of wine. That took some of the pain out of the $30 bill, (for one) but still, very dissapointed overall.

Now, the kicker is, I saw Phil come in around 7:45 and he walked by me. There were only 3 tables out of 20 in. When I mentioned to my server that the chicken was really dry, another server (lady) came over and appoligized, and did not charge me for the on 4oz glass of wine. I said she did not have to do that, but thanks. Phil, just sat in his chair by the counter, and never came over to talk to me. That is the most dissapointing part of it. He did not care. Nuff Said.

• Visited September 2012