“Great atmosphere and really good food”

Pan on the Danforth
Ranked #194 of 9,121 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East End
Cross street: Carlaw Ave.
Transit: Pape (3 blocks west)
Description: Our mission is to offer creative food and a style of service that will make you feel welcome and special. We prepare our dishes with sensitivity and care and we hope that your visit to Pan will be a memorable one. Chris and Soula thank you for choosing Pan for your dining pleasures; where nobody is a stranger, they just haven"t met yet. Enjoy. OPA!
Reviewed November 12, 2012

First time to this restaurant. Arrived twenty mins. early for our reservation and the place was packed [it was 6.30pm on a Saturday] but we were warmly greeted and seated immediately. Place was cosy and a little cramped but a lot of the restaurants around there are in small old buildings and it just adds to the ambience . Our table was on the 'upper level' which is only two steps up from the main floor. Service was attentive and quite quick considering they make everything from scratch and were obviously very busy . While we waited for the rest of our party we ordered the Taramasalata which they served to us with hot buttered pita. Our waiter was chatty and friendly and we were seated near to the two stools for the quitar players that started to play around 8-8.30pm. Our main courses were delicious also and we all had a very good evening. We had 2 appetizers, three beers, 1 soft drink , two entrees, two cappuccinos and our bill was just over $60 which we felt was very good value. The servings were a good size also, they didn't skimp on them.

The restaurant had belly dancers performing to the tables during the evening [ entertaining but the music from the speakers was really loud , so forget trying to have a conversation whilst they are dancing, BUT we were right under the speakers!!]

We would certainly go back to this restaurant again and tell our friends to go there also. Parking was not a hassle although we expected it would be.

PARKING: the restaurant is next door to a BMO bank which is on the corner. Drive up the road beside the bank . There are two green P parking lots right there but make sure you have change for the ticket machine.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We went there for a friend's engagement dinner. The place didn't have enough seats for everyone so they made half of the guests wait by the door while raining outside. They even went as far as seating some of us and then coming and telling us that "No Those are not your seats!! You must get up!!"

Extremely rude and horrible service, I will never step into that place again.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The first experience here was so good we booked for another night. That was as good, although to be pedantic perhaps pork chops would be cooked a little rarer in Australia. But flavours of all meals were wonderful. We chose this restaurant because it was rather full on a Monday night - clearly for old reason.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

good value, excellent food. lots of choice on the menu. Parking is challenging on the Danforth but its a great street to walk down.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The restaurant was nice and with good atmosphere. The first thing I noticed were the bottles of wine all over, and a full house, which led me to believe that I had come to the right spot for authentic Greek cooking.
I had a sampling of a few appetizers, however I was somewhat disappointed with the Skordalia (mashed potatoes with garlic), it seemed to be VERY light on the garlic. The Taramasalata (fish Roe)also seemed to lack a full flavour and also seemed exceptionally mild for my palette. The Saganaki was good but again seemed to lack some flavour. Probably the chef was trying to appease the bookeeper, or customers that may not be used to a full flavoured Greek cooking.
My main course was lamb shank and that was well done to perfection. The wine selection was quite good, slightly overpriced..,but then again this is Toronto.
I would stay away from the Retsina, as it seemed to be watered down.
The dessert was very good, vaguely reminiscent of Grandma's cooking.
I really liked the live music and the Belly Dancer was a nice touch of uniqueness, more restaurants should consider some attraction other than a menu, like this place does.
A warning to wine connoisseurs, the wine server knows NOT how to pour wine. and needed to be reminded each time, not to pour under-handed, or with the left hand, also will need to know NOT to refill a glass of wine that has wine from ANOTHER bottle in it.
Overall good rating with some rough edges that I am confident will be improved on once the Owner/Manager reads these reviews.
As I am not from the area, I do not know if this place offers late nights or delivery service, I cannot consider a street view as scenic, but it's not the reason I go to a restaurant anyway.