“Amazing”
Review of ORO Restaurant

ORO Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 8,473 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Bay Street
Transit: ORO is located just north of Dundas station on the Yonge subway line.
Description: Each day ORO's creative team pushes the boundaries of the culinary imagination with appetizers, entrees and desserts prepared neo-Italian style but subtly accented with hints from around the world. Add to this an award-winning wine list and it's no surprise ORO was selected one of Canada's Top 10 Restaurants by the Globe and Mail soon after its 1997 opening. Private rooms available for meeting/special occasions.
Dover, New Hampshire
“Amazing”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great service, perfect food choices and quality. Went for a great business lunch, but I imagine dinner is equally wonderful. Will be back!

Visited May 2013
Domenico C, Owner at ORO Restaurant, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your terrific review! We look forward to seeing you again. Connie + Domenico

Scituate, Massachusetts
“What a Mess Up”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Food was excellent. Better than expected. My friend and I each ordered something usual and my wife ordered the rabbit. When the food was brought, none was brought for my wife. She was told it would be 3 minutes but it turned out to be more like 30 minutes later (waiter had forgotten to place her order). The restaurant did the right thing by apologizing and then comping my wife's dinner. The food is very tasty and priced well so give it a try and don't let my wife's experience deter you from what should be a very pleasant experience

Visited April 2013
Domenico C, Owner at ORO Restaurant, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for constructive feedback and fair review. We appreciate your compliments, and apologize once again that the service was not up to our usual standards. Unfortunately, errors occur from time to time, as we are all human. Hope your stay in Toronto was enjoyable, and we hope to see you again soon. Connie + Domenico
Toronto
“Love that wood burning fire place!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Myself and husband went to Oro one Saturday evening at 7:30. We made a reservation using there wbsite online. When we arrived the place was just about empty which at first made me a little nervous. Alas, it started to fill up shortly after 8.

Here is me breakdown of our experience at Oro.

Atmosphere:
When we walked into the restaurant the first thing we noticed was the smell. They have a wood burning fireplace in one corner that smells so inviting. My husband said he would go back, just for the smell! The place has large windows at the front that lets in natural light, but the place was romantically lite which was how I like it. They have a selection of booths and tables to sit at. We choose a cozy two person booth in the center of the restaurant.

Food:
We started by ordering some sparkling water and ordered a bottle of red wine from the servers suggestion. Normally we wouldn’t have went for the flavors of this particular wine, but he did not lead us astray. It was very good. There wine prices were also very reasonable, I believe starting at about $35, many at around $50 and then up from there. They then served us bread with a olive oil infused with garlic cloves.
We ordered two appetizers to share. First was the Antipasto Plate. It contained three types of meet, some pickled carrots, bread and three sauces, it was quite good. We also ordered there fried calamari. It was one of the best fried calamari I have tasted. The batter was almost like beer batter, not crusty, very light. The calamari tasted very fresh. It was drizzled in a sauce that went well with it.
For our mains I ordered the Seafood Mixed Platter. It changes daily, this day it contained shrimp which where large and grilled perfectly, a scallop and a piece of white fish that was also really good. I don’t normally eat fish skin, but I did on this as it was crispy and flavorful. It came with some veggies and risotto. The risotto was just ok, but I was full enough from the app and seafood I didn’t need it. My Husband ordered the Carbonara (servers suggestion) and he really enjoyed it. The bacon flavor went well with the sauce.
For desert we ordered the Chocolate cake to share. It was just ok. It was lighter then I like as I like dense cake. Still good but not my favorite.
Service:
The service was excellent. We had a few different servers throughout the evening both having no issue suggesting or offering advice on the menu.

Overall, a good night, and another Elm Street Fav. I will definitely return and recommend to anyone looking for a nice evening out with good food that won’t blow the bank. I would give it 4.75 Stars!

• Visited April 2013
Domenico C, Owner at ORO Restaurant, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for a thoughtful review! We appreciate your comments, and are pleased you enjoyed your dinner with us. Many diners come early, and leave by 7:30 to attend the theatre, so this can be a transitional time at ORO. Hope to see you again soon, and please spread the word! Connie + Domenico
Santiago, Chile
“Top notch food, outstanding atmosphere”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This restaurant is a delight. A short and sophisticated menu with enough options to keep you coming back. I was there for a business dinner, and the food was outstanding. A mixed seafood platter was exquisite. I have a thing about shrimps - typically they are overcooked. Sometimes they are undercooked. The point of perfection - cooked through, but still tender and juicy and ready to burst - is so rare as to be non-existent. But here they hit that sweet spot, and I would be happy to return just for that. Everyone at the table was impressed with their meal. Portions are right-sized - neither over large plates that leave you bloated and in pain, nor artistically decorative concoctions that would leave me starving in 20 minutes. Perfect for a leasurly dinner with room for desert.

Service was excellent. Attentive, quick with a joke, it was perfect to keep a business dinner from getting stuffy.

Decor was elegant - this would be a perfect date restaurant, and I would love to bring my partner here. I saw a lot of happy couples.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank matrix0
Domenico C, Owner at ORO Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words! We certainly can't provide this exquisite combination of cuisine and service without our amazing staff and culinary team, so we will certainly pass along your thoughtful and well-written review. Hope to see you again soon! Connie + Domenico
Guelph, Canada
“Oro is wonderful!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Had a get together on Friday with a group I had not seen for over a year. The choice of restaurant was perfect. Great food, service and ambience. Wonderful company made this a perfect evening. Love Oro!

3 Thank Lilpen24052005
Domenico C, Owner at ORO Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you! We're so pleased you made us your venue of choice for your special gathering. Spread the word, and hope to see you again soon at ORO! Domenico + Connie