“good place, but gave us heartburn”

Olde Yorke Fish & Chips
Ranked #85 of 9,002 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Everything was good: excellent food taste with thin, crispy crust, outstanding service and very convenient prices. However, 4 out of 10 of us had severe heartburn after this dinner.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

THE BEST fish & chips ever ever ever. Ordered the clam chowder, it was delicious with lots of flavour and chunks of clam and potato. Also ordered the haddock which was not at all greasy but the crust was so light and crispy. Potato fries were very good. Amazing tartar sauce and fresh coleslaw. For dessert we had the keylime pie, the family loved it but I found it similar to a frozen grocery store pie. Would have preferred it a bit lighter. The kids also really loved the deep fried mars bar which was interesting haha. We did not wait long for our table, about ten minutes on a tuesday night. Overall one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. You won't regret it.

1  Thank ChristinaB42
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband is British and we've had fish & chips both here and across the pond. These were undoubtedly the best we've had anywhere! The restaurant is busy and with good reason. Service is as crisp as the batter on the fish. Everything is very fresh and portion sizes are extremely generous. I consider myself to be a french fry aficionado and I was not disappointed. They were hot and hand cut, just the way I like them. I'm wondering how soon we can go back. :)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

we tried this establishment after reading about it on Tripadvisor. There was about a 30 minute wait on a Saturday night. The food taste and preparation were very good for the fried fish and chips dinner. The weight watchers grilled offering was only average. It was an enjoyable evening and a pleasant restaurant, but not at all worthy of being #7(recently) or #14 (presently) on the Toronto dining list. There is a limited choice of options if one wants to avoid fried food, and the rest of the package (service, atmosphere, price) are average and not outstanding. We might visit it again, but it is not a new-found favourite as I had hoped.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I went here for lunch on my first day in Toronto thanks to all the great reviews. It was a phenomenal experience. The service was extremely fast, which was outstanding given my tight schedule. I had the haddock and chips and the batter was amazing--it was very light and pretty much melted in my mouth. I had the key lime pie for dessert and that too was delicious--like a frozen one from the grocery store except more flavorful! It's the best fish and chips I've ever had.