“Great food knowledgeable staff good ambiance”
Review of North 44

North 44
Ranked #601 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Sherwood
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We love eating here as the food is always good, and we like the quietly elegant surroundings.

The staff match good wines with your personal favourites
Never in your face but always ready to help
Decor is a little stark, but noise level is acceptable
Early is quiter

There are newer reviews for North 44

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I recently dined at North 44 for my 50th birthday,with my family. Our dining experience compared to none, from the time of booking right up until the end of the evening. All 10 of us thoroughly enjoyed everything from the Drinks, the wine ,the appetizers,entree's and desserts. Our server was lovely allowing us to enjoy every moment of the evening. Not once did we feel rushed with our meal. Appropriate time was given between each course, and having been given a private room was great for our large party. Everyone commented on the excellent food, there wasn't one complaint about anything. Food and service was over and above what we could have hoped for. We have all experienced fine dining in the past but not always have had this quality of food and service during one experience. Many thanks to all at North 44. This birthday couldn't have been any better. Mary

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've always heard a lot of good comments and admiration about North 44, but I didn't want to get carried away by the hype. However, it wasn't too long after we were seated that I began to feel this is a restaurant that is above the rest.

What I liked:
- Completely impressed by the level of service – you just don’t see this too often – the staff is well trained, friendly and make the entire dinner a great experience
- As expected gourmet creations – I was very happy with the steak – definitely mouth-watering. I also enjoyed the peach pie – it was a nice light dessert.
- Since, I was celebrating my birthday, they surprised us with some home- made brownies. Those brownies are absolutely wicked … not sure if they are on the menu … but they should be..
- Great modern design with clean edges – like the fact you can see the kitchen as soon as you walk in.

What I didn't like:
- for the sake of adding one point under this category, the exterior look of the restaurant seems a bit ugly. Apparently, this is trendy – but doesn't suit my tastes ;-)

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I recently dined here with colleagues from work for a business dinner. We reserved the private room upstairs, and when we arrived the remainder of the restaurant was pretty much empty. Our server was prompt in taking our orders, but her attitude left a bit more to be desired (although the service from the remainder of the staff was great). We had a set menu, choosing from the following: Lobster Bisque with Tiger Prawn or Crisp Artichoke salad as an appetizer, a Filet of Beef, Truffle Risotto with Asparagus or Rainbow Trout with Sweet Corn and Potatoes as a main, and for dessert either Sorbet with Fruit or the Chocolate Bourbon Cake with Peanut Butter Mousse, Candied Praline and Hot Toffee Sauce. For my own dinner, I chose the Lobster Bisque (quite watery, and not creamy at all), the Rainbow Trout (potatoes and corn overcooked and quite salty), and the Chocolate Bourbon Cake (amazing!). Overall, my favourite part of the dinner was the Chocolate Bourbon Cake; the reaminder of the dishes seemed to be doused in salt, and a few of my colleagues mentioned that their Crisp Artichoke salad was drowning in the vinaigrette. Overall, a 3/5 for the overall quality, price, and service.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Came to North 44 for a birthday dinner, highly recommend it! Everything was fantastic from the cocktails to the desserts. Our waitress was very friendly and knowledgable regarding the menu. Made for a memorable birthday dinner and hope to return.