“Big Prices, Small Portions but still a Keeper”
Review of North 44

North 44
Ranked #614 of 8,576 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Sherwood
“Big Prices, Small Portions but still a Keeper”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Place is expensive. The portions are small but the quality is great.
We had a great server. The food came out perhaps too quickly.
My only complaint, other than portion size, is that I had a Martini that they left the ice in. They said that is how that one was made but I a) found it hard to drink, b) I think that because of all the ice they used less booze?
For two the bill, with 2 martinis and 1 glass of wine was, two appetizers, two mains and two deserts was in the $350.00 range.

• Visited April 2013

LaSalle, Canada
“Memorable dinner”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The entire experience was fantastic. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The timing of the service was perfect leaving enough time between courses. The food was delicious, we enjoyed the ahi tuna appetizer as well as the special greek salad, both gorgeously presented and well balanced in flavor. Our entrees were the black cod and the lamb, both properly portioned and incredibly flavorful. Subtle flavors such as the corn puree was a beautiful accompianment to the cod. The lamb was prepared two ways and both were done perfectly. Finally we shared the chocolat pot de creme which was a perfect ending to the meal, not overly sweet with a touch of salt to bring out the decadent flavor. We also appreciated the extensive wine list offering a number of 1/2 bottles as this was just enough for us to pair with the dinner.

• Visited April 2013
ottawa
“Great Food”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great food, impeccable service... the risotto was excellent and the duck was cooked to perfection... the halibut in banana leaf was also great... the wine list is very complete but a bit expensive... we would certainly go back and highly recommend...

• Visited March 2013
Canada
“Winterlicious Dinner- over-priced and not that good”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I went here for an early dinner with my mom on a Wednesday night and was very excited as this was my last Winterlicious meal. I will say that the bread they give you to munch on before the meal is delicious. Service was also excellent as was the wine. To start- we both ate the iceburg salad with blue cheese etc- it was just alright, nothing to write home about to be honest. For the main course, I had the short rib and "risotto"- I did not like it at all. I have had this at other restaurants and this was the worst. It was incredibly fatty and not appetizing. The risotto was basically white mushy rice with no flavour. I did not like the meal. My mom had some sort of chicken dish- looked pretty basic to me. She said it was just alright.

The dessert on the other hand was delicious! Our meal with 3 glasses of the cheap wine came to close to $130- and that was the discounted Winterlicious price. For that amount we could have got just got a regular meal at our fav restaurant for less. I haven't been to North 44 in about 8 years and I remember it to be a lot better- that being said, it was their Winterlicious menu so perhaps they didn't serve their best food items (although I am not sure why you wouldn't in order to get people to come back to eat?)

Would I return- no I would not.
Also- fyi I took the subway and got off at the Yonge & Eg stop- it's about a 5 block walk north, not too fun in this freezing cold weather!

• Visited February 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent food , superb service , great atmosphere”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We held our wedding reception in the upper floor. We booked the restaurant at last minute . We made arrangements to meet with the manager Elaine. Elaine was wonderful . Whatever we requested she went out of her way to make it happen. She provided us with many options for the different courses along with a superb choice of wine. What we really also liked was that she made suggestions but left the choices entirely up to us. With 24 people all to be served at the same time we had concerns. Our concerns were totally unfounded . The different courses arrived to time. The food was on par with our other visits . Both the taste of the food and the service were exceptional. Thank you North 44 for a great evening (especially Elaine for the arrangements). Yes it is expensive but well worth the costs. McEwan is a magician with introducing the various flavours into the various dishes.

• Visited December 2012