“Great Food”
Review of North 44

North 44
Ranked #601 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Sherwood
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great food, impeccable service... the risotto was excellent and the duck was cooked to perfection... the halibut in banana leaf was also great... the wine list is very complete but a bit expensive... we would certainly go back and highly recommend...

There are newer reviews for North 44

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I went here for an early dinner with my mom on a Wednesday night and was very excited as this was my last Winterlicious meal. I will say that the bread they give you to munch on before the meal is delicious. Service was also excellent as was the wine. To start- we both ate the iceburg salad with blue cheese etc- it was just alright, nothing to write home about to be honest. For the main course, I had the short rib and "risotto"- I did not like it at all. I have had this at other restaurants and this was the worst. It was incredibly fatty and not appetizing. The risotto was basically white mushy rice with no flavour. I did not like the meal. My mom had some sort of chicken dish- looked pretty basic to me. She said it was just alright.

The dessert on the other hand was delicious! Our meal with 3 glasses of the cheap wine came to close to $130- and that was the discounted Winterlicious price. For that amount we could have got just got a regular meal at our fav restaurant for less. I haven't been to North 44 in about 8 years and I remember it to be a lot better- that being said, it was their Winterlicious menu so perhaps they didn't serve their best food items (although I am not sure why you wouldn't in order to get people to come back to eat?)

Would I return- no I would not.
Also- fyi I took the subway and got off at the Yonge & Eg stop- it's about a 5 block walk north, not too fun in this freezing cold weather!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We held our wedding reception in the upper floor. We booked the restaurant at last minute . We made arrangements to meet with the manager Elaine. Elaine was wonderful . Whatever we requested she went out of her way to make it happen. She provided us with many options for the different courses along with a superb choice of wine. What we really also liked was that she made suggestions but left the choices entirely up to us. With 24 people all to be served at the same time we had concerns. Our concerns were totally unfounded . The different courses arrived to time. The food was on par with our other visits . Both the taste of the food and the service were exceptional. Thank you North 44 for a great evening (especially Elaine for the arrangements). Yes it is expensive but well worth the costs. McEwan is a magician with introducing the various flavours into the various dishes.

2  Thank martin e
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I honestly don't understand the hype with this restaurant. Yes the food is decent, but to describe it as "amazing" etc., is definitely a stretch imo. I like the atmosphere, and some of the dishes are great, but overall - definitely not one of the best restos in Toronto. We ordered the lobster taco appetizer - bland, nothing special. My husband ordered the fish, which was actually very good. We went a couple months back and I honestly don't even recall what I ordered as my main. I guess it wasn't that memorable. I personally like Mark McEwan's Bymark much better than North 44.

2  Thank JW4444
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Now, if you're a low key kinda person yet want to wow and dazzle your (also low key) date take them to North 44 -- its layout, menu, even its bar treats are one of a kind... The spread of the day's catch is in open view throughout, including meats, and cheeses too...