“Horrible service”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed February 9, 2014

First time visiting Chinatown so we'd figure we'd check out the recommended restaurant on the Chinatown website. I'm a nice person and have restaurant manners, whenever something is brought to the table I say thank you.
Our server was an older woman who ended up yelling at me across the restaurant for not having my order on the tip of my tongue, when I was clearly trying to point at it on the menu as I was saying it to her so I wouldn't get my order wrong. She specifically yelled across the restaurant (we were seated near the middle, she was near the front) "you don't make me stand there and wait for you to think about what you want" when I was trying to find my order down the page so I could read it to her!
We should have left at that point, which we realized later. I had the chicken stir fry with sweet and sour. I had a few bites and could not eat the rest, rubber chicken. I expected stir fry and not a pile rubber chicken
on top of a pile of lettuce.
I did not tip this older woman because of her attitude, it was horrible customer service. When she seen the debit transaction and that I did not tip her, she YANKED the portable debit away from me and stormed away. No have a good day from that old Chinese hag.
I walked out feeling relieved to get out of there, and I will never go back.

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Were out browsing in Kensington Market and happened across the New Ho King. We decided to check it out and a glad we did.

We were immediately greated by the gregarious maitre'd, Mr. Hu. He quickly took our drinks order and cheerfully guided us through our menu selections.

I would describe the food as authentic Chinese with a strong North American influence. We especially liked the lemon chicken, the delicious calamari and the Ho King specialized chicken hot pot.

Great food at moderate prices. We will be back!

Mr. Hu, we love you!!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I ate hear recently with two of my friends on a late Saturday evening. I was pleasantly surprised. The portions are large with enough to share and take home. We ordered the General Tsao chicken, beef with mushrooms, Chinese broccoli, and noodles. All were very good. Service was fast and efficient. The decor is bright and modern and this is definitely a popular spot for the late night club/bar crowd and university students. Good value for the money and I would return.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

... and what is it? A semi-greasy, full of salt, too lazy to cook/ drunk/ just too late, kinda place. We ordered delivery, getting the spicy crispy shredded beef, stir fried chicken with snowpeas, and the "rice noodle with soy sauce and beef" or beef ho fun. This isn't "Chinese food" like my father would make me, though it's not 100% north american either - a good mix to satisfy all the cravings. As many people have mentioned, you get a lot of food. The spicy crispy beef was probably my favourite - a bit spicy (I would ask for extra spicy next time), salty, sweet (weird but worked), and ACTUALLY CRISPY. We've ordered from other places on Spadina, but unlike those, the deep fried food was able to stand up to the trip (not more than a 10 min drive). The stir fried Chicken was surprisingly good, and probably the most like what I'd eat at home (in a good way), though the snow peas were overcooked a tad. The least fav was the Ho Fun, which missed the "flavour of the wok", noodles were a bit overcooked, more bean sprouts, and needed more soy or at least some dark soy to give a lift. I was a bit disappointed with it, but that could have been my higher expectations. The beef in it was very good - not tough or chewy, and well seasoned. We would order from here again.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We ordered after a Jays game, we were surprised they delivered after 1am... but it came and was very good and you a ton for your money, you will not be disappointed.