“Busy Place”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We went into this restaurant in Chinatown, just going by how busy it was on a Friday night. Ordereded the dinner for two, and shared it between three of us.We were totally full and still had enough left over for 2 meals! The food was great and the total cost was $30.00 including tip! Highly recommended.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Not sure what happened here been on serveral occasions staff is lost always bringing out the wrong orders. I felt the food was a lot better at the old location.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

My experience with these guys is primarily through ordering online.

Their quantities are massive. Their food is greasy. Their prices are reasonable. Their cuisine is fast-food Chinese. Their delivery time is average.

In broad strokes, that's all you need to know about New Ho King's food. So if you want massive quantities at a reasonable price, and aren't concerned so much with greasy food, then that's your place. Off-the-bat I'd think that it's a good match for students.

Personally, I'm more concerned with getting Chinese that isn't incredibly bad for me. Luckily, having ordered enough from them, I've discovered a tasty order combo that is reasonable, price-wise, tasty and somewhat healthy.

Get the Beef Egg-Drop Soup as a starter and the Steamed Shrimp/Calamari for your main. The starter is great soup in massive portions and the main, well, great steamed food in quick generous portions. Sure, you might say "It's just steamed, how good can the main be?" But they put some tasty sauce on it so it's something I can have pretty much every day and not worry about my dying young from a heart attack.

I'm going to give this place a 4/5 stars. Sure, it's a bit high for a fast-food Chinese place, but it's not going for Cordon Bleu haute cuisine so give it a break. Perhaps if I check out its neighbors and decide that other places do it better, like "Sky" across the street or Rol San down the street (so far I've only ordered the dumplings at Rol San) then I'll downgrade them.

In any case, I figure that if all they had was the Beef Egg-Drop Soup and the Steamed Shrimp/Calamari, I'd give them a 4/5. Those are things I can eat every day and, really, if that's the case, do you really need more than two items? The rest is just gravy... Greasy greasy heart clogging gravy...

Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I happened upon this restaurant for lunch as we were walking on Spadina Avenue near Kensington Market. The food was extremely reasonable in price and excellent in taste and quality. We enjoyed the egg drop soup, crispy egg rolls and our main courses of chicken chow mein with crispy noodles and a seafood noodle dish. We have visited China several times and found this food to be authentic and delicious.

1  Thank gloraway
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Still going strong, never a let-down, always satiating. New location is much nicer, and now even more packed than usual, but still delivering the great eats. Be sure to try the Hunan style tofu!