“Excellent Malaysian Food on Baldwin's Restaurant Row”

Matahari Bar & Grill
Ranked #3,496 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Indonesian, Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Cross street: Beverley and McCaul
Transit: Nearest Subway Station - St. Patrick Station. Street Car at Dundas and Beverley
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Baldwin Street in Toronto is packed with restaurants. This is a great area to come and eat. Particularly in summer when the street is lined with patios. There are at least 30 places on this tiny two block strip. Mata Hari is one of the best. It has a calm soothing atmosphere, nice patio and excellent, exotic malaysian dishes. Service is great. My favourite dish is the Curry Laksa, but the Mango Salad is also tops.

3  Thank familyltravel

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We came with big expectations since there are not many SE Asian food available. There were four of us and each ordered different entrees. None was happy and they could not even do a good job with the chips or Krupuk. Will not come back, the place was cold and service was very slow.

2  Thank rsal_lrs
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I don't get what the big deal is with this place, it seems like an egg roll and chicken balls kind of place, but Southeast Asian style, if you know what I mean, and I know some of you do! ;) It's OK but I've only ever been because it was someone else's turn to choose where we're having lunch. I've eaten here a handful of times and it's not that it's bad, I just find it overpriced and nothing special, but it is a little more upscale-looking with its glass and steel vs some of the other restos along Baldwin, not that the others are shabby or anything.

2  Thank Calamity Jane T
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Several visits over the past 10 years. Only get one dish -- the mango chicken, which is spectacular. By far the best mango chicken in the city. Okay, I lied a bit, I also have had the satays (chicken and calamari) which are very good. Service is slowish but I come here expecting slow service. Price point is great. I'm not sure why more people don't know about the mango chicken, which I would have thought would become a hidden treat for foodies -- it really is that good in my opinion.

2  Thank SugarSammy
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We went in just as the lunch croud was leaving so we were the only ones in the restaurant. It was 40 minutes before we were served appetizers and another 30 minutes before the entrees arrived. Terrible service. Food was OK but overpriced.

1  Thank Logan69x