“Better places nearby”

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Enjoy French culinary delights with great French wines. Le Trou Normand is the the longest established restaurant in Yorkville, Toronto since 1973. Le Trou Nnormand is typical la cuisine reginonal, rich and diverse mixture of local French dishes. Such as : veal Normandy, escargot, duck l'orange, sweet bread, also like venison, magret duck and so on. Le Trou Normand is named after the custom of taking a shot of Calvados (Apple Brandy). We are sure you'll enjoy the food, wine, and the service at Le Trou Normand. You can come for great food, friendly service or plain old nostalgia for Old Yorkville! We look forward to serving you.
“Better places nearby”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Nice atmosphere but food is just ok. A bit pricey for what it is. There's better food nearby.

Toronto, Canada
“Le Trou Normand: For Masochist Diners, only”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I wouldn't even recommend this restaurant to someone I dislike. On both food quality and service, Le Trou Normand is less than satisfactory. I'll outline my experience chronologically in a numbered list below.

1. I had a reservation booked during Summerlicious. When my party arrived, we were told that only indoor tables were available, despite obvious space on the patio. The restaurant was not air conditioned, windows were not open despite it being a humid 30-degree plus day, and I was 8 months pregnant. It took 15 minutes for us to be seated with a reservation.

Both the owner and a female server handled our request, the server responding with a snide, "You want me to seat you on the patio?" and the owner flitting about incompetently to no effect. An affable male waiter, who appeared to be serving the entire clientele, saw the commotion and steered his unhelpful colleagues out of the way to seat us.

2. Our order was taken promptly. Wine prices are higher than Yorkville going rates, with identical bottles at Mark McEwen's "One" more reasonably priced. Water and bread didn't appear for 30 minutes. However, it took another 10 minutes to receive cutlery to be able to butter our bread.

3. At this point, another customer arrives and is told that his patio reservation also cannot be honoured. He expresses his frustration and communicates to the owner that he is also a restaurant owner and would be ashamed to treat a customer with the disrespect he was shown. The owner handles his complaint in a similar way to ours. The male waiter is ultimately the one to find a table for the customer 10 minutes later.

4. First courses (salads and pâté) take 40 minutes to arrive. In the meantime, I have requested more water from two of the three servers twice each, to no effect. I walk over to the service station and bring a jug of water over to serve my table myself. The servers notice my effort and one throws a paltry, "Oh, I didn't know you were pregnant" comment my way before retrieving the jug. (Note: Are only pregnant customers entitled to water?). No apologies are made.

5. First courses arrive. Salads are mediocre- a small pile of mixed greens and bland balsamic vinaigrette. Pâté is tepid.

6. 30 minutes have passed since our appetizer plates are taken. We requested a refill for bread and water 10 minutes ago. I pull aside the snide waitress from our arrival for water, who makes an excuse that she is "really busy". I observe her walk over to her colleague to chat. The male waiter admirably proceeds to serve the entire clientele at breakneck speed. The two female servers intermittently interrupt the male server to argue with him in front of clients about orders. Orders are being confused at the tables around us.

7. One of the diners at our table retrieves the jug of water. She throws a napkin over her forearm in mock service and proceeds to cheerfully fill the glasses of diners around us in an instructional pantomime, to everyone's amusement. I call over the snide server and inform her that service is "below abysmal." She shrugs, makes a transparent excuse, and proceeds to chat with her colleague.
8. My husband calls over the helpful (yet clearly overworked) male waiter and cancels his dinner order. He details the poor service and food quality and says he will not pay to support such a shabby establishment. His meal and the table's wine are comped. The owner comes by to apologize every 10 minutes from here onward, irritating my fellow diners and interrupting conversations several times.

9. A couple that arrived 10 minutes ago still has not been greeted. My husband shares our experience with them and encourages them to leave. They do.

10. Main courses arrive a little over an hour after appetizers are taken away. The table has ordered tenderloin medallions, but thinly sliced roast beef is served in a salty, soupy gravy. Side dishes are bland, oversalted, and presented circa 1980.

11. Desserts were an unrecognizable apple tart with an overcooked crust and vanilla ice cream. Apples were under-seasoned. Ice cream clearly wasn't churned long enough, as it had an unpleasant sandy texture. I suspect the chef was using too high a ratio of butterfat.

Need I say more?

3 Thank Bond W
Oakville, Canada
“Average”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We took advantage of the Summerlicious event to discover Le Trou Normand. It was a nice Saturday night and we were seated on the outside patio. The atmosphere was nice, with two music players. As I like the violin, and the violin player like tips, they played a few nice songs at our table.

The Summerlicious menu was CDN $35.00. I had the pâte de gibier (very good). Then the Medaillon Beef Tenderloin. It was fine, however, the portion was on the low side. I was impressed that they had 5 choices for the main course. The dessert I picked was the apple pie. It was a small portion however, sophisticated. The wine was fine.

We appreciated that in a French restaurant, we were served in French. The service was good.

It was a fine evening, however, we feel that there are better choices in Yorkville, for a great evening, all things considered.

1 Thank Honestray
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Deserves a slight name change: Le hole Yorkville!”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Never would I believe there would be a bad restaurant
in Toronto elite Yorkville, but you confirmed it.
I took my wife there for her birthday on Sat. for the Summerlicious experience:
the house wine was terrible!
the bread stale
the Pâte had to be sent back it was so bad.
the chicken tasted boiled,
the fish petite
the flan -burnt charcoal on the bottom!

-the only pleasant thing which kept us from leaving
mid-course was the nice waiter & the musicians!

Usually one has to be in Brampton for sub-standard food,
not anymore! In an hour's travel, one can reach this destination!

Their name is appropriate, for my wife tells me your washroom is a hole
& the men's was not much better.
And I see there was a movie made with the same title,
where those imprisoned try to escape...

Please don't insult the French by pretending to be what you
once were in days bygone!

Never again!

Philadelphia, PA
“Perfect French Country Cooking”
Reviewed April 8, 2011

We discovered this restaurant by accident. We were exploring the Yorkville area and stopped to look at the menu. The owner was outside and engaged us in conversation. When my wife said that we were looking for duck, he promised that he had the best in Toronto. Well, I can't say if he's right because I haven't eaten duck in all the restaurants in Toronto, but I have had duck at a lot of restaurants all over the world and this was one of the best. Our other dishes were wonderful,too. Add in a very romantic atmosphere and reasonable pricing and you have a winner. We highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited September 2010