“Good French Bistro cuisine”
Review of Le Select Bistro

Le Select Bistro
Ranked #74 of 8,947 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Its has been many years since we have been here, not since the restaurant was on Queen West. The restaurant is familiar, yet old. Classic French fare. Moules mariniere, salad paysanne, steak frites and bouef bourignon. Excellent with wine list. Service efficient if a little snobby.Outdoor patio is now open for the summer.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Very good food, beautifully served. Faultless service, a fine bottle of wine. Good atmosphere, a very pleasant evening in a thoroughly recommended restaurant.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

My wife and I took our daughter and her boy friend here to celebrate her graduation from the University of Toronto.

I have been coming to Le Select for 35 years (which was shortly after it opened on their original Queen Street location some 37 years ago). I have never been disappointed in the food or service. The prices have gone upscale over the years admittedly, but one pays for quality.

We were seated on the patio and everyone ordered a different dish (which needless to say was tasted by all). For once no one chose an appetizer (they are good from past experience) and, strangely, no one ordered dessert claiming they were full. The portions are good but not excessive. I was disappointed as I had room for a creme brule but bowed to peer pressure and did not order one (darned wife and her watching my diet).

I should note Le Select has one of the best wine cellars I've seen anywhere in my travels.

This is still my favourite Toronto restaurant by far. If only they would bring back the hanging bread baskets which they had at the original location.

Per the question "Is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant?" for this style I would say yes. But I have had somewhat better meals for a price far higher.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

It was a Friday night with business visitors to Toronto, what to do. They live in New York and have access to everything US corporate style...well Le Select shows the real fun new world class of Toronto. This bistro is superb especially the French Onion Soup followed by Duck Legs as a main course, veg cooked perfectly. Friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere. Restauants like this bring me back to Yorkville of days gone past, without the over the top pricing and attitude of today. Plenty of parking around on the street as well as their own parking lot. Make a reservation as they are very busy. Full happy and satisfied is how I rate this restaurant one of Toronto's hidden gems.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

as a follower and fan of this restaurant for over 20 years at both the old location on queen west and the new sparkly fabulous location on wellington Street....i feel the need to spread the word and remind everyone what a great restaurant ths is,
Right now being summer...patio is fully opened and so cozy and french style. You feel like you are in your little oasis with no loud cars honking and foot traffice. plants and flowers and french bistro like.
The food has always been very good and very reliable here. Brunch on sundays ...the best...classic dishes like smoked salmon eggs benedict and mimosas....the whole vibe here is happy and well done. Starting with the hostess with my mostess Miss Vicky at the door (actually one of the owners and been working the front of the restaurant since day one!( Even non-regulars get a warm greeting and given options of back cozy warm part of the restaurant or the from cafe which is a little louder and bar style. I personally like the banquette in the front cafe s you can see and hear all the action of the restaurant and it's bright and airy.

french onion soup ...one of the best in the city...boullibaise ...fantastic and don't even get me started on steak and frites...especially in the back of the restaurant on a cold winter nite with a big glass of pinot Noir!

2 thumbs up for over 20 years for this customer!! GO!!