“A little pricey.”

Ranked #113 of 8,509 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Le Papillon on Front is located in the heart of Old Town Toronto. Inside of a beautiful Old Town Toronto building with exposed brick walls and high lofty ceilings sits the beautiful venue for Le Papillon on Front. It's exposed brick is complemented well by the aged hardwood floor and perfectly soft lighting. The venue suggests a lovely mix of romance, comfort, and of course, the classic French bistro atmosphere that has followed Le Papillon to all of its locations. In the warmer months Le Papillon on Front even creeps its way onto Front street, giving a beautiful view of the Flatiron building as well as the CN tower in the distance. With a closed in patio adorned with wonderfully arranged planters you experience a private feel, even while sitting on the heart of Front Street.
Toronto
“A little pricey.”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Nevertheless the ambiance (exposed brick walls, high ceiling, warm decor), the service (pleasant and appropriately chatty but not obtrusive waiter) and the quality/presentation of the food trumped what essentially turned out to be an expensive brunch.
P.S. The coffee was excellent.

1 Thank World-Traveller-one

Brookline, Massachusetts
“Typical French lunch ”
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

After failing to find a vegetarian lunch at the St. Lawrence market (see my review), we wandered unsuccessfully around the neighborhood for a bit and then remembered the TripAdvisor offline city guide (if you don't know it, you should check it out!). It said that this fantastic French place was just a few blocks away.
We arrived at an off time, about 3pm on a Saturday. Luckily they were still serving lunch. There were just a few other customers. Service was pretty slow, but that is to be expected at an unusual time with just 1 waitress working. She was very friendly and cheerful.
I ordered my standard vegetarian French lunch- mushroom and cheese omelette with salad. My friend got a croque-monsieur with fries. Both were good, tasted just about like what I order in Paris.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Very impressed”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I loved this restaurant - it has an old, classy style to the decor which compliments the food and creates a very good and appropriate atmosphere. I was not that hungry and had the soup of the day and seafood crepe. The soup was lobster bisque and was perfect. Several of my friends had french onion soup and complimented it. The crepe was reasonable texture, but a bit over browned for my liking but the filling was excellent. Service was highly attentive and I will return.

Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
“Don't Waste Your Time or Your Money”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Bought a Groupon based on the great reviews I read of this restaurant, and went with friends. I have NO idea what restaurant these reviewers went to, but our experience was at best - disastrous. The atmosphere and the hostess that sat us to our table were great. Everything after that went down hill. Our waiters were uninformed and extremely snobby! The only thing worse than their attitude was the food. Three out of the four of us left nearly the entire meal on our plates as it was uneatable, and not one person questioned this. We had salmon or duck (as that is all that is offered with the Groupon), and each was as bad as the other, the desserts were not much better. I have had the pleasure of dining at many downtown restaurants and this was by far the worst I have been to. If you are looking for a nice meal with great service, go somewhere else.

3 Thank ShariandRob753
Sean G, General Manager at Le Papillon on Front, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hello,

My name is Sean and I am the general manager at Le Papillon on Front. I'm extremely sorry to hear about your unacceptable dining experience here and I would like to do everything I can to sort this out. What you describe is nowhere near what we have come to expect from this restaurant and being an independent family run business we rely highly on guest feedback to rectify any mistakes. With regards to the duck, unfortunately our supplier had sent us a lower quality leg than we ordered. That is entirely our fault but I just wanted you to know that meal was definitely not indicative of what is usually served. I would very much like to know more about the problems with the salmon dish as it is quite popular and our desserts are usually raved about from our guests, so I can only assume there was a large mistake in preparation.

With regards to the service, how many different waiters did you encounter? I personally hire every individual here and work very hard to find caring and polite individuals that will deliver a memorable and enjoyable dining experience for our guests. I urge you to please contact me personally so we can sort this issue out because what you described is unacceptable by the standards we set here. Please take the time to send me an email, sgowland.papillon@gmail.com, so we can rectify these mistakes and ensure they don't ever happen again.

With apologies,

Sean
Newmarket, Canada
“Driest Duck on earth”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Four of us dined at Le Papillon for my girlfriends birthday on February 28th. This was possibly the worst downtown dining experience ever. Three of us ordered the duck confit. The potatoes were barely warm, the vegetables were inedible and the duck was completely dried out and tasteless. The servers were snooty and in general the whole experience was extremely disappointing. The only thing going for Le Papillon is the location and atmosphere. But if you plan to eat something, go somewhere else.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Luana J
Hello,

My name is Sean and I am the General Manager at this restaurant. I would very much like to find out more about your experience here. What you described is nowhere near what we have come to expect at our restaurant. We have high expectations of our staff and food here and I need more information to make sure the appropriate people are held accountable.

With regards to the duck, I brought this issue to light in our kitchen and it seems that our supplier had delivered us a much lower quality duck than we ordered. No excuses, but I feel an explanation is certainly in order. The potatoes and vegetables being cold is beyond unacceptable and the service you seem to have received is just as troubling. As an independent family business we depend on the feedback of our guests to make sure everything is up to par. Did you mention these issues to your server or request to speak to a manager?

Please email me personally so that we can sort this out. sgowland.papillon@gmail.com

Sean