“Great food, mostly”

Ranked #135 of 8,574 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Le Papillon on Front is located in the heart of Old Town Toronto. Inside of a beautiful Old Town Toronto building with exposed brick walls and high lofty ceilings sits the beautiful venue for Le Papillon on Front. It's exposed brick is complemented well by the aged hardwood floor and perfectly soft lighting. The venue suggests a lovely mix of romance, comfort, and of course, the classic French bistro atmosphere that has followed Le Papillon to all of its locations. In the warmer months Le Papillon on Front even creeps its way onto Front street, giving a beautiful view of the Flatiron building as well as the CN tower in the distance. With a closed in patio adorned with wonderfully arranged planters you experience a private feel, even while sitting on the heart of Front Street.
Canberra, Australia
“Great food, mostly”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We ate at this restaurant twice on our visits to Toronto, with different family members on each occasion. On both occasions we were very happy with most of the dishes we tried. Standouts were the assiette of house terrines, the scallops, duck croquettes, pork cheeks and the mille feuille and sugar tart. On the downside, we weren't overly impressed with the escargot or the crepes. Felt that the pastry/sauce treatment didn't do the escargot any favours and the crepes were very dry.

The restaurant space was warm and inviting and decor interesting.

Service was very good. Servers were courteous and helpful but not intrusive. We were impressed that on our second visit, which was some weeks after the first, staff remembered us and asked how our trip was going.

• Visited January 2013

“Excellent service, great atmosphere, so-so food.”
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I joined another couple for dinner here tonight. The atmosphere is lovely, with warm brisk walls, vintage lights, interesting art, etc. just the right ambience. We also found the service to be "just right" . Our server was friendly but not intrusive, and generally there just when we wanted him to be. Our dinner companions and my wife were satisfied with their food, but I found my meal to be just so-so. The Caesar salad was exceptionally ordinary. The croutons were clearly out of a bag, the dressing had barely any taste, and the lettuce was nothing special. It wasn't bad, it just also wasn't particularly good. Then I had the veal medallions on a bed of white beans. Very nicely presented and with a tasty gravy on top, but the meat was more fat than meat, and a struggled to find many white beans hiding under the meat. Again, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good. After dinner I had a capucino - well make that two cappi's, though I didn't drink either of them. The first was barely Luke warm and the second was so weak it was more like a hot chocolate than a coffee-based drink. That said, our server took it off our bill without complaint or comment.

Sean G, General Manager at Le Papillon on Front, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the review, and I'm sorry the food was not up to par as per what we have come to expect here. With regards to the salad, our croutons are not out of a bag, they are made in house. I can only assume the salad was under-dressed because usually our Caesar dressing is very well spiced and quite strong, and for that I apologize. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "nothing special" with regards to the lettuce, it is classic Romaine which is the lettuce of choice when making Caesar salad, but I can only imagine the lack of dressing took away from the entirety of the dish and again that is inexcusable. I will definitely be talking to the Chef about the veal medallions because that simply seems unacceptable with regards to the amount of fat and white beans. We take pride in our portions here and a lack of sides is unsettling to say the least. With regards to the cappuccino I recently found out that we have been having major problems with our cappuccino machine and that would account for the errors in both of the cappuccinos. I do apologize and am happy to hear that they were removed from the bill, as they should be.

Again I very much appreciate the response and thank you for the positive notes with regard to the beautiful Old Town Toronto building and on point service, and please accept my sincerest apologies about the shortcomings. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future and we'll be sure not to disappoint!

Sean
Toronto, Ontario
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We ate here last weekend, before a show. The best french onion soup in the city, hands down. And the best caesar salad - not all are created equal obviously :) We had crepes which were good, but slightly less so than our appetizers. Excellent service. Lovely ambiance. Would highly recommend. Oh, and creme brulee for dessert is always an excellent idea.

• Visited December 2012
Kingston, Canada
“Exelent!!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

As always, the food was amazing. We had couple of appetizers, main courses with a bottle of wine to share and desserts. The service was good too. Our waitress was very busy but still gave us enough attention. However, she showed no attention at all at the end when we finished our deserts. It was kind of shame. Overall it's always been good experience at Le Papillon.

• Visited October 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Not substantial. Won't return again. Sad, after all these years.”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

After a skimpy napkin-sized crepe filled with two spoonfuls of spinach, my parents had to go home to eat afterwards. One crusty slice of bread doled out with tongs. One "signature" house salad with a quarter of an egg (really, how much does one half of an egg cost?) and a quarter tomato and a hint of dressing - no olives or cheese slice like before. Although nice atmosphere and toilets, this restaurant's food is lacking what it once was, in terms of offering Torontonians and toursists French cuisine. Over the years, we've adored and followed Le Papillon from Jarvis Street to Front Street to Church Street and back to Front Street. I know the rent is high in the area, near the flat iron building with expensive and limited parking. Now we'll just have to drive out to the east end to the fantastic Le Papillon on the Park. But not here downtown. It's a shame. If you could do something to save your business, please do.

• Visited November 2012