“Very nice, will return.”

Le Papillon on Front
Ranked #145 of 8,771 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Le Papillon on Front is located in the heart of Old Town Toronto. Inside of a beautiful Old Town Toronto building with exposed brick walls and high lofty ceilings sits the beautiful venue for Le Papillon on Front. It's exposed brick is complemented well by the aged hardwood floor and perfectly soft lighting. The venue suggests a lovely mix of romance, comfort, and of course, the classic French bistro atmosphere that has followed Le Papillon to all of its locations. In the warmer months Le Papillon on Front even creeps its way onto Front street, giving a beautiful view of the Flatiron building as well as the CN tower in the distance. With a closed in patio adorned with wonderfully arranged planters you experience a private feel, even while sitting on the heart of Front Street.
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The service was very good from A to Z. Our waiter was friendly, helpful, but not invasive. The food was good with a very little reserve on a couple of items but nothing major. The Fish Soup for instance could be a tiny bit more garlicky.
The decor is nice, simple but charming (Love the brick wall)
Would recommend the place for a date or a small party.

Will definitely return and bring more friends over.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Nice restaurant.
I took the filet mignon with dry vermouth sauce. The meat was absolutely excellent, the sauce average, nothing special.

After the main course it took a long time before I got the dessert menu.
My favorite dessert: cheese, was only for two. 23 C$

As I was alone (business trip), so I asked if it would be possible to get me some cheese just for 1 person.
answer: NO. (the kitchen can't do that)

Do you mean that you can't cut some pieces of cheese for just one person?
While on your menu you have a cheese starter for one person.

Exceptionally dissapointing. ( I was willing to spend more, even pay 23$ for less cheese)

The customer is NOT king.

I was in a hurry to leave this restaurant. I paid, but no tip.

So, don't go there.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My family and I spent our Thanksgiving Sunday at Le Papillon, also celebrating my husband's birthday. We've been here many times, but not since I'd become a vegetarian.

They had an amazing fixed price Thanksgiving menu which included pumpkin soup, turkey, stuffing, cranberry, mashed potatoes... the whole works. I asked the waiter if I could substitute a salad or another main, like ravioli, for the turkey and stuffing (which had bacon). He checked with the kitchen and told me they couldn't do a substitution, they could only serve it to me without the meat dishes on the plates. That wasn't worth the price to me, so I decided on something else, planning to order the pumpkin soup as an appetizer. I was then informed that the pumpkin soup was not the soup of the day, and could only be ordered as part of the fixed price menu. With few vegetarian options on the menu, I was frustrated by their lack of flexibility, and their lack of desire to please their customer. Nevertheless, I ordered the ratatouille crepe and it was excellent.

As it was my husband's birthday, we had brought in a cake to serve at dessert, as a surprise for him. After dinner, the waiter did not ask anyone if we wanted dessert; instead he brought out dessert cutlery and placed it at everyone's table. Then ten minutes later he brought out cake plates and placed them in front of everyone. At this point the surprise was ruined, but it was an even bigger slap in the face when the cake was brought out unceremoniously, and the candles were not lit until it was already at the table.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by other restaurants who always have some vegetarian options they can whip up, but their unconcerned attitudes about my dietary restrictions really put me off. Unless I'm craving that ratatouille crepe, I won't be returning anytime soon.

1  Thank sherbear82
Sean G, Manager at Le Papillon on Front, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Hi there,

My name is Sean and I am the current manager of Le Papillon on Front. I'm very sorry to hear about your experience at our restaurant. I'm happy you enjoyed the food you did receive although this review especially frustrates me because every substitution that you requested is absolutely acceptable and had they been brought to me it would have been no problem at all.

Our number one priority here is, always has been, and always will be our guests. Especially when dealing with certain dietary restrictions like vegetarians. On top of that, the lack of care when presenting the cake is unacceptable. I have been present countless times and always I have made sure the cake is presented in its entirety with candles lit and a song if requested and then taken to the kitchen, plated and brought out to those who requested it. So much so that I made the assumption this was routine! Apparently not...

I will have to take a portion of the blame for this of course. The job of a manager is to ensure that all restaurant guidelines are followed and that customers are put first in every aspect of the dining experience. This obviously did not happen, and on all days Thanksgiving! I would very much like to find a way to make this up to you and would also very much appreciate some feedback regarding your server so I can get to the bottom of this. If you would be so kind as to contact me personally at sgowland.papillon@gmail.com I would love to inquire further about this.

Sean Gowland

Reviewed October 21, 2012

A Toronto mainstay for well over 20 years. My wife and I were looking forward to a nice meal at the Quebecois-themed resto, but what we got was so subpar in taste and presentations we were both hugely disappointed. Let's see, burgundy escargot not in the shells back on top of a oil saturated phyllo pastry with faux garlic butter, lactantia butter in the packets with our crusty bread, sardines served with far too much oil vinaigrette. Oh yeah, didn't get a glass of water until half way through the meal, even after a cocktail and bottle of wine. As for the mains, nothing like store bought gravy for my lamb; my wife ordered the steak frites - good steak but terrible fries. Then came our sugar pie for dessert - a Quebecois delicacy. Again, nothing like store bought pastry that had been frozen....really, my wife and I enjoy a good meal and we could have turned out something far better. Did I also mention that by the time my waiter brought my espresso it was luke warm? If you want real French in the city highly recommend Batafoile on Gerrard.

Hi Sean,

My name is also Sean and I am the current manager at Le Papillon on Front. First I’d like to apologize for what seems to be an extremely sub-par visit to our location. It is actually quite interesting that you mention Batafoile on Gerrard because our current Chef, who has been with us for almost 2 years, was the Chef at Batafoile for 3 years prior to that before leaving to pursue his own cooking desires. This review disappoints me to no end (on our end of course) because I know the kind of food we have been putting out in the past number of months and what you described seems to be a terrible representation of our current dishes and quality. With regards to the escargots we have always prepared them out of the shells and I’m quite sorry you didn’t take to the new presentation in the pastry shell. The reason we use prepackaged butter packets is entirely for sanitary reasons and to prevent cross-contamination for any allergies or dietary restrictions. I can also assure you that our gravy is not store bought, but made in house, and having tasted it personally I can only assume there was a mistake in the preparation with regards to the serving you received. I must claim the same problem with the frites because those have long been a specialty of ours having had nothing but great responses from customers, and again for that I am sorry. The Sugar Pie we make is also done entirely in house with no frozen store bought pastries used at all. I’m very curious if you had brought these concerns to the attention of the waiter as if a customer is unsatisfied we make sure to do everything we can to rectify that. The service you received is also extremely unsettling because it would seem that it was completely unacceptable by the standards we set here. I would very much appreciate some more information on the manner if you could contact me at sgowland.papillon@gmail.com and let me know the time of your reservation and date and where approximately you were sitting I would very much like to straighten this out.

Sean Gowland

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The best Eggs Benedict I have ever had. The hollandaise sauce was perfect, eggs done perfect and served with awesome frites. The french onion soup was perfect too. I wanted to go back the next day but decided to check out Le Select Bistro instead. Wish I had stuck to Le Papillon on Front!!!