“Absolutely Fabulous!!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The service from the hostess on down was fabulous! Our water glasses were never half empty. We had the escargot, duck, mussels and best fries I've ever tasted in my life...literally. The prices were reasonable, the wine list, sufficient and could not have been more pleased. It was quite warm outside...and inside. That's the price you pay for having the kitchen out in the open and be able to give your feedback to the chef on the way out! HIGHLY recommend!

There are newer reviews for La Palette

Reviewed June 21, 2012

We just had to try horse! We split the small charcuterie plate ($15) that included many meats like prosciutto, venison, salami, etc. that was pretty good. I ordered the Quack N' Track ($35) which was horse tenderloin (requested medium rare instead of rare), duck leg, mushroom risotto, and mixed green veggies (asparagus and french string beans). Husband had the steak frites ($25) which he said was out of this world. With tip, we spent around $100. For the price, the food was delicious but the atmosphere screamed casual. It actually reminded me of a dive bar that turned into a bistro. The staff was pleasant. I even had a weird request for some wet napkins because the duck bone made my hands all sticky, and the man gave me a glass of water and some napkins to dip. I didn't feel like going up and down the stairs to the bathroom every time I took a bite out of the duck.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I went to La Palette today around 3:00pm for Sunday brunch. I am not sure if it's usually flooded with patrons at earlier times, but there were probably 2 other occupied tables. On that note I really liked the atmosphere with the beautiful sunny weather today, however other reviewers complained about the tables being too cramped together. I can see that happening if there is a full house at La Palette.. so if you're a late waker and prefer some quiet, go much later in the afternoon!

As for food, I had the Eggs Benedict with wild boar. Now the meat was superb, juicy and tender. The only problem is that the dish on a whole was really rich: after 4 bites I did not want any more. Why you might ask? Boar is gamey and has its own flavour which I believe was hidden behind the flavour of the ricotta herb biscuit. The cheese flavour with the boar I thought was what put me off. On another note, the biscuit when eaten alone, was perfectly delicious! So I can see how the biscuit would have paired perfectly with the nicoise eggs benny (veggie option). Everything when eaten separately was delicious, but the dish when put together was simply too much.

The wine was much more expensive than other restaurants in Toronto. So I would say it's a little more expensive in that department.

So in all, the atmosphere is nicely decorated and provides a nice quiet brunch option on late Sunday afternoons. The Eggs Benedict was cooked well, but I did not like the execution of my dish. I would be willing to go back to try a simple dish with gamey meat (e.g. their Bison). Its definitely worth trying on your own, but I would stay clear of the Eggs Benedict with wild boar for now.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

I was excited to try this restaurant, but the terrible condescending attitude and rudeness of Shazam (waiter/bartender) ruined the evening for me.

2  Thank Cal S
Reviewed February 21, 2012

A friend and I dropped into La Palette on Sunday afternoon for a late lunch. We were on Queen Street West and both quite hungry. The restaurant is a lovely space with a casual French look - wall art in the late 19th century style, Provencal-style tablecloths - with a café/bar as well as several tables. The kitchen is in the open, which I love.

My friend was on a very low fat diet per doctor’s orders so asked the waitress what she recommended. La Palette, in true French style, uses a lot of oils, butter and/or cream in their cooking. The waitress wasn’t very hopeful but asked the chef about a couple of items for my friend. It didn’t look good until my friend spoke to the chef directly and he was happy to accommodate her by modifying the “Poulet” offering on the menu. I ordered the Steak Haché, essentially a handmade burger with fries. Doesn’t sound too adventurous but it looked delicious at the table next to us where three guests were thoroughly enjoying theirs.

To my good fortune as it turned out, they were out of ground beef so I ordered the Poulet as well. It’s “pan roasted chicken thigh supreme with garlic roasted Brussels sprouts, pumpkin-sage bread pudding & coq au vin sauce”. It was excellent - the chicken and bread pudding were delicious and the white wine based sauce was superb! I am not a fan of bread pudding in its sweet form but this savoury version was wonderful. My friend also enjoyed her low fat version.

We arrived around 3:00 and it was about half full. When we left after 4:00, we were the only patrons left in the back half but the front of the restaurant was still busy, with a few people at the bar area. The service was good. The worst I can say about our visit was that some of the chef’s chopping was a bit loud but that is expected with an open kitchen and it didn’t last long enough to be annoying.

I will definitely go back to La Palette when I’m in Toronto again!