“Had a fabulous authentic atmosphere, AMAZING mojitos and beautifully done comfort food in the form of tapas...”
Review of Julie's Cuban

Julie's Cuban
Ranked #3,903 of 8,897 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located in a residential neighborhood. Authentic Cuban food Miami style by Chef Jesus from Cienfuegos, Cuba. Great date place, fantastic atmosphere, tapas, our patrons are encouraged to share the food - family style. Signature drink: Mojito ... Home grown Mint and vegetables behind the restaurant. Winter Hours: Tues to Sat 5 pm to closing Summer Patio Hours: Tues to Sun. 5 Pm to closing Est. 1996
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My fiancé and I went to Julie's Cuban for a date night. I had been driving past it frequently of late, and something about the twinkling lights and bright colours drew my imagination in enough to make this place a must go.

We arrived slightly late for our 6 pm reservation (reservations were recommended) but the place had just opened and there was plenty of room. They placed us in the front window, which is my recommendation for a table for two as it is super private and in the summer has the windows open. The bright palette used in the checkered tablecloths, plates and walls along with the Latin music and the amazing staff set the tone for the evening.

We started with drinks, I had the strawberry mango daiquiri and my fiancée had the house mojito. The drinks arrived quickly, and upon tasting them, we both agreed they were some of the best in the city. The daiquiri used fresh fruit and the mojito, as my fiancée so elegantly put it, "went down like the ones in Thailand". I read somewhere that the mint used is homegrown in a garden out back, and it shows in the flavour.

We started out ordering four tapas and a salad, most of which were recommended by the waitress. The salad was a special of the day, a concoction of palm hearts, lettuce, strawberries and a lemony vinaigrette. We both cleaned our plates. The tapas came within minutes of us ordering, and we were impressed by the presentation, the quality and the freshness. The chorizo was cooked in red wine, and was delicious, though slightly dry. I didn't mind, as I thought it was a nice alternative to how greasy some chorizo can be. The coconut shrimp was lightly coated in fresh coconut a d served with a cream sauce. I personally preferred the shrimp plain, without sauce, as the freshness of the ingredients didn't need more. The Plantano Especial, or plantains with Picadillo was a favourite of ours. As described accurately by the server, it was a meat banana split. The sweetness of the plantains matched the savoury ground beef perfectly. Lastly the Blue Marlin Ceviche was a delight, as the marlin was delicious. This dish was extremely spicy though!

After eating all of that meat we wanted to try the Potato Puff, so we ordered it as well. It was a deliciously crispy shell of potato fried golden brown with a Picadillo center.

For dessert, we ordered coffee, which is brought in from Cuba. I had an Anericano, he had the medium roast, and we ordered the Margarita key lime pie and the tres leches cake. We weren't prepared for the beautiful simplicity of the presentation, nor for the light decadence. The pie was done well with a crust that was perfect, not heavy at all. The filling was a blend of lime and tequila with whipped cream on top. The cake was bliss.

The check was reasonable, considering how much we ate, but the drinks will kill you as they are ten bucks a pop. In my opinion? Worth it for the quality. My fiancée had three mojitos and a corona and I just had the daiquiri. Total with tax and a VERY generous tip (35%, our server was fantastic) was $180, but of that food was only $60. Well worth the yum.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Having grown up in the hood I would have never thought that there would be such a place. What a pleasant surprise. Not your typical grub but good, fresh, made from scratch goodies. Not sure if its considered authentic Cuban food as we've never been but that doesn't matter as the food was fantastic. We did not have any mains but did share eight tapas between the four of us. Each one was awesome and was difficult to choose which was better. It's not very often that four people agree that everything was great. The service was timely, very attentive and happy to explain each dish. If you are looking for a fancy place this is not the place as its more like eating at your grandmothers place, but who cares if all you want is great tapas. For $138 that included 6 drinks it is very reasonable and we did not go away hungry. I would recommend reservations as the place is small. Street parking only.

1  Thank Bywood
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We were in town for Toronto Pride 2012 and wanted to try a Cuban restaurant in Toronto. Our party of two was one American and a Cuban - just an FYI. We had two choices between this place and the Mambo Lounge. We chose Julie's. The restaurant is very cute, tucked away in a neighborhood, with design details dating back many decades.
As for the food, our appetizer, Tostones Rellenos, was excellent - very tasty. Our main entrees were decent, Bistec Empanizado and Vaca Frita. The sides were average - the beans with both dishes were not terribly tasty. They weren't bad, just not great.
As for the service, it was mixed. The first waitress who attended to us, was attentive, but only came back once after the food was delivered to check on how things were. At the end we were waiting quite a while for our bill - when we inquired with our waitress about it she actually snapped at us rather rudely and never actually brought the bill to us. We had to have Julie's niece bring us our bill so we could cash out and be on our way. We were a bit surprised at the rudeness of the waitress as she at first seemed nice, but apparently gets frazzled easily with doing more than one thing at a time.
Next time in Toronto we'll give Mambo Lounge a go.

2  Thank yojial
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Located in a residential area, this wonderful restaurant is a great place to chat and share tapas. We of course ordered too much, but their portions are quite large, depending on what you order. Their guac is delicious!!

2  Thank jessican132
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Went to Julie's cuban on the advice of a local recommendation. I was definitely pleased with our meal. Just ordered multiple tapas' as my friend is a vegetarian. Great selection. Wonderful food. Kitschy restaurant. Loved it.

1  Thank pxb123