“Great Bistro for Pre-Theater Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Jules Bistro

Jules Bistro
Ranked #300 of 8,440 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Barrie, Canada
“Great Bistro for Pre-Theater Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

My Mom, sister & I dined at Jules Bistro before seeing War Horse at the Princess of Wales Theater. The location was great; 15 min walk from the subway station and a 5 min walk to the theater. It is a small restaurant with eclectic charm and an open kitchen.

The food value was great; $17 for a huge plate of fries, ratatouille, salad, and grilled steak or chicken. No need to get the prix fixe menu because of the quantity of food served with each dinner. The quality was good; excellent fries and awesome ratatouille but basic green salad from a box with a simple dressing which was a bit bitter and flank steak which was nicely seasoned but very chewy; (should have been marinated). I would recommend the chicken for this reason which was seasoned with herbs de province. Two of us shared the "lemon tart for two" which was the best lemon tart I'd ever had; disappointed by the small portion though.

Service was not great considering the restaurant was almost empty. We had to ask for water refills and when we ordered the "Jules" coffee off the menu the waiter and waitress didn't know what it was and asked if we knew how to make it! I tried twice to make a reservation through their website but noone bothered to reply. The bathroom was grungy; glad we ate first.

Overall, this restaurant could be great with minor tweaks to service and food. I'd give it another shot if I was in the area.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank physio2

• Finnish first
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful time at Jules again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was our second visit to Jules. My clients insisted that we take them to Jules for our annual Holiday lunch. I arrived early and had a bit more time to absorb the decor -- it's charming and relaxed, and has a right mix of contemporary and antique elements. it was very crowded and noisy which just added to a holiday atmosphere.

We had a vegetarian onion soup, a delicious take on a classical and two platters: a beef platter (shared by two people), and a duck breast platter shared by the other two. Both were plentiful, perfectly cooked and delicious. Great fries!

• Visited December 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Jules on Spadina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

A non-pretentious French Bistro that delivers every time and for a very reasonable price. And the chef really is French.

• Visited December 2012
North Yorkshire
“Great find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We found Jules by chance and liked it so much we returned a few days later. We recommend the prix-fixe menu which was simple but very tasty and the house wine was good but not cheap. Don't expect quick service, as the few staff seemed rushed off their feet, but worth the wait.

• Visited July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great prix-fixe deal, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

My husband and I both ordered the prix-fixe menu. Our Caesar salads were very good. I ordered the chicken w/ mushroom sauce and fries (great, but I would've liked a bit more chicken), my husband really enjoyed his steak and fries. The creme brulee and the chocolate mousse were both great as well.

I thought the wine seemed a bit overpriced but since the prix-fixe was only $25, it was ok to spend a bit more on wine.

The service was a bit slow. We went on a Thursday night and it seemed like there weren't enough servers for the amount of tables that were occupied.

My complaint for our dinner was that our salads didn't come before our entrees. I tried to explain this to our French server, and it seemed like she didn't quite understand, but she was very apologetic once we got it all sorted out.

Overall, I really enjoyed this restaurant and would definitely return if I'm ever back in Toronto.

• Visited June 2012