“Not good food”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Calabria Restaurant - CLOSED

Calabria Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian, American, Canadian, Steakhouse, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: North York
“Not good food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Went for business Christmas lunch.
This place serve low end food, noting special. The steak were dry, soup made you very thirsty afterwards, will not come back.

• Visited December 2013

“An Unexpected Surprise..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My expectations on my first visit to this restaurant were surpassed. As appetizers we had the calamari and the crab cakes and both were very good. For entrees we ordered the seafood medley and the carbonara linguini and both excelled in quantity and quality. As to service... Our waiter, Nigel, was personable and attentive and made us feel welcome. I recommend this restaurant and will be returning.

• Visited October 2013
Markham, Canada
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

As the previous post indicated the name has changed to Calabria Restaurant.

The first sign of trouble should have been that when I called to make reservations for 9:30 when they opened for 9:30, that they recommended we come later at 10 or 10:30 as they had a party a night before and may not be ready for breakfast. However wanting to support a local independent business - was willing to give them a try and made a 10 am reservation. My mistake.

Trouble started right when we go there. They were still cleaning up from the night before and were not ready for customers. We waited for about 10 minutes before we were seated in the back. We were the only customers.

Once seated, coffee then took about 10 minutes to come.....We then placed our orders and the menu looked quite appealing with a good variety and was hoping it would improve.

Well it didn't - it took over 40 minutes for breakfast to come and again we were the only customers - I have to mention that there 2 more tables seated in front and came after us. After a first round of refills of coffee, we had to ask for coffee and water. Once the food came, it was filled with problems. The server did not know the difference between sunny side up and over easy and got the orders mixed up, the toast was cold and not buttered, the peameal bacon didn't taste right, the eggs were runny, my sausage scrambler which included onions and peppers did not have them. I returned my meal and was offered another one - I passed. When I complained about breakfast, I did get an apology from the server, however no sign of a manager. When I asked for the bill, I mentioned to the server that I am not paying full price for "this mess" she acknowledged and when I asked for a manager, there wasn't one on duty. She did not charge for 1 breakfast and gave us 20% off. Still no consolation for a poor Father's Day breakfast.

I speak from 15 years of experience in working in restaurants and this is not how you treat customers. At the end, the table was a mess and we left unhappy.

If there is any recommendation that I can give is to STAY AWAY from this restaurant. I always give the benefit of the doubt and try to find some good in a restaurant and especially the independent ones - not this one.

• Visited June 2013
“Nothing Special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

A typical middle of the road independent restaurant. The name has changed recently to Calabria but that looks like the only spot they invested money in. Decor was spartan and it had little ambiance at lunch time. My greek salad had mixed greens but it was ok. I would suggest there are better restaurants around than this place. I would only go out of convenience.

• Visited April 2013
Willowdale, Ontario
“FYI - this place no longer in business”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

This place does not exist anymore. Not sure if the renovations and new name mean new menu and new owner, however, Joe Maggiano's Italian Steakhoue & Bar is no longer in business. The new place is called Calabria. I have not been to the new place since it has only been open for approximately one month (it is now the end of October 2012).

Visited March 2012