“What you see is NOT what you get”
Review of Calabria Restaurant - CLOSED

Calabria Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: North York
Toronto
“What you see is NOT what you get”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

5 of us went to Joe Maggiano's for their Winterlicious dinner menu. The place was not that busy but we still had to wait a while for our waiter. First thing we were told was that one of the appetizers and one of the entrees were sold out. The sold out appetizer was actually what I wanted, but fine, I reluctantly picked another. 4 of us happened to pick the same appetizer (mussels), but a couple of us got a bowl with very little tomato sauce.

One and half hour after we first sat down our entrees finally came, and that's when the fun started. 4 of us ordered the "Zuppa Di Pesce, with lobster tail, white tiger shrimp, East coast scallops, clams and fresh fish in a tomato white wine broth", but what we got depended on the luck of the draw. Some of us got 3 scallops, some got 2, and we even saw half of a scallop. We were not told that the clams would be replaced by mussels, or we probably would not have picked the mussels as appetizer. I got 3 shells and one mussel. The only consistency is that none of us got lobster tail.

We asked to speak to the manager, who basically said that there was nothing he could do but to offer us $5 off for each person??? We refused that offer. He walked away saying that he'd see what he could do. That was the last time we saw him as we all stood up and left.

• Visited February 2012

Ontario
“Fantastic”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Burger is huge! Ate with fork and knife and savoured every bite!

Visited November 2011
1 Thank worldtravelers100
Eganville
“Great food”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Just had dinner at Joes last night and everything was awesome . The food was very tasty and the sevice was just as good .

3 Thank Hoully
Toronto, Canada
“Used to be better. Generally avoiding it these days.”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

When originally opened years ago it was 5 star. We would volunteer to work Friday nights because we would go there for dinner! It went down over time to Average and now there are new owners. I would typically go for late evening dinners, business lunches or late afternoon weekend dinners.

Seems that it is now the same place, only worse. Changed the comfortable old pictures on the walls interior to a hip and depressing grey and black. Looks more like a banquet hall or cafeteria than a dinner restaurant.

Promises of a new chef, new menu never showed that I can see. The actual menu is the same as it has been for years and recipes seem unchanged. Recent changes have made no difference to the food and that would be okay but overall the food is good about 1/2 the time and can very to sometimes Great and even more often Bad.

I really really wish this was consistent because I usually like their menu but since the new chef/owners have had it I've gotten what used to be predictable to be random.

Badly cooked steak (Medium = grey or Medium = bloody; 3 bad out of 4 orders on 2 different visits); Al dente pasta with a crunch; onion soup with onion peels and mouthfuls of bay leaves; vanilla ice cream gone bad like sour milk!

Staff does not seem to have changed much. The great waiter who remembers my and my family's faces and is always helpful and accurate is still around (thankfully) as is the waitress who always seems like serving is distracting her from something.

Last visit some kids from a party in the back must have decided to wallpaper the ladies room with toilet paper. Wife says 2 of the 3 stalls and seats were just stuffed, seats, floors and walls, with rolls of paper. Even though it was mentioned to staff it was still that way when we left 2 hours later.

Recent two visits - weekday and weekend (my last for a long while I think) everything took much much too long. 15 minutes to bring a kid a bowl of ice cream? 20 minutes to re-cook a kid's steak to medium? 10 minutes to get soup then a 30min wait for the meals? I don't blame the wait staff - its obvious they are frustrated by this too, having to make excuses for the kitchen.

Other friends who used to be regulars are reporting the same kind of thing.

The place has always had a busy bar with lots of locals hanging out or stopping in for a beer after work. Maybe that's where they are focusing these days.

Go to Remezzo's just down the street.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Terry H
Toronto, Canada
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I was recently at Joe Maggianos for a late dinner and I had a great experience! The atmosphere was so lively that after my dinner I ended up in the bar for some late night fun and drinks! It was a completely unexpected surprise that turned into a really great and fun night out! Seeing as this is a local place to me, I will definitely be planning more late, fun nights out at Joe Maggiano's!!!

• Visited April 2011