“Great damily dinner”

Neighborhood: Midtown
Toronto, Canada
“Great damily dinner”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Jacques Bistro is a small but very agreeable space which we try to visit several times a year. We were there just after New Year's accompanied by our two adult children and our older son's girlfriend. I had the cream of watercress soup and a spinach salad before getting into my main course, filet mignon forestier, done medium rare. Others had onion soup, smoked salmon or escargots (or some combination) as their appetizers; two people had rack of lamb, and two people had an omelette. Everyone was more than satisfied with the quality, which is always high. People had different sweets: all were excellent. The service was a bit slow, since only two servers were on duty, but in every other way this was a great dining experience.

• Visited January 2013

Toronto
“Paris in Toronto -- no, better than Paris because the service was great!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Picture a fine dining experience, white tablecloths, and attentive service. A menu where people understand good cuisine francaise. In Toronto, just off Yorkville. I really can't think of a shortfall with this great restaurant, other than getting up the two flights of stairs could be a challenge for some. I usually order fish, because they do such a great job, but they do well at everything i've tried.

• Visited February 2012
England
“France in Toronto”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Jacques Bistro is typical of an authentic French family-run restaurant, but magically transported into the centre of Yorkville. Climb the stairs and you could believe that you are in France – no long-haul flight, Channel crossing or Floo powder required.

On the two occasions I dined there during my stay in Torono, I was eating before evening concert and theatre performances. The range of omelettes and patisseries for dessert were satisfyingly delicious, and the service was very friendly and efficient. The wines were also good and reasonably priced.

Jacques opens at 5pm and is within a short walk of Koerner Hall. And the Bay subway is just across the road making it a convenient choice to go onto Toronto’s downtown entertainment district too.

I’m not suggesting Jacques Bistro is just a place to grab a quick pre-show meal, as that would not do it justice. I happened to be lucky enough to get a table on both occasions and enjoyed well-presented meals and good service without paying silly prices. This is an exceptional place to eat.

• Visited December 2012
Toronto
“Un repas parfait”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We dined on the second floor of the restaurant. The space is very small and tables are quite close, but we never felt cramped.
The food was excellent and the prices were extremely reasonable (not inexpensive, but extremely reasonable for the quality of the food). My husband and I dined with another couple and all four of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals (my veal was excellent and my husband was still raving about his salmon the next day). Desserts were delicious and the portions invited, if not demanded, sharing. The wine list was not extensive, but we were able to find wines which we enjoyed and, again, prices were very reasonable.
Service could not possibly have been better: friendly and warm, but not overly familiar. Two male couples dining together, we were made to feel very welcome. And though the restaurant is small, in no way did we feel rushed to vacate our table.
I cannot think of any reason not to highly recommend this restaurant, other than wanting to keep it secret so that we can enjoy it to ourselves.

• Visited December 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We love french cuisine and we have been to this little restaurant many times. The food is always great! Never disappointed

Visited September 2012