“Bad food and bad service”

IL FORNELLO on King
Ranked #187 of 8,569 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: King and University
Transit: St Andrews Subway station or if traveling by Street Car, get off at King and Simcoe Streets.
Description: IL FORNELLO is not only ZAGAT rated as one of “Toronto’s Top Ten”, it offers the best Italian food in the Entertainment District and the preferred spot for casual, classic Italian cuisine to enjoy before a concert, theatre production or a Jays game. Located directly across the street from Roy Thomson Hall and just steps away from The Princess of Wales and Royal Alexandra Theatres and The Rogers Centre, IL FORNELLO has long been considered one of the best Italian restaurants in the Entertainment District.
Calgary, AB
“Bad food and bad service”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stopped into this restaurant at abour 5:30 pm for a pre-baseball game meal. The place was empty but the hostess still gave us the evil eye for not having a reservation. She manages to "squeeze us in" and that is exactly what she did. We were sat at a very small table in a cramped corner. There were empty tables all around. it took over 10 minutes for our server to come and take our drink order - was probably anaother 15 minutes before our drinks arrived and they were wrong. Waitress complaned that she was run off her feet (only 4 other tables were full) and she wasn't responsible for the delay. We ordered dinner and a bottle of wine. The meal arrived after 20 minutes or so during which time 2 other tables had been seated and served. I had the pizza which tasted like cardboard. I asked for the hot chili oil - this didn't arrive for 20 minutes and it didn't help the taste. My husband had pasta (which he normally loves) and refused to eat more than 2 bites of it. The bottle of wine arrived at the same time our table was cleared. DON'T BOTHER GOING HERE.

Sao Paulo, SP
“Nice italian in downtown Toronto”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had a dinner with friends last friday night and is was really very nice. Everyone order something different and everything seems delicious. A lot of veg options (even some vegan). Prices are not the cheapest, kind of middle of the road. Some advice: the italian bread and butter that comes as a couvert is amazing, but don't eat too much of it as the size of the dishes are big and you probably will probably regret (or ask for a doggy-bag!)

• Visited August 2013
“Consistently Good Food”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I don't understand other reviews. They have great pizza at reasonable prices. The salads are generous. The caprese salad was tasty and well presented and huge. I understand that the products they use are largely from southern Ontario so you have to applaud them. Service is always excellent.

Toronto, Canada
“Very average food, service but the location is great.”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I've been here a few times over the years and the food used to be pretty good. I went here recently with a party of five for lunch and the place was completely packed. Its packed because the location is so good.

I ordered the caprese salad to start and the salmon nicoise salad for the main. The caprese salad was horrible. The tomatoes were flavourless, it tasted as if the tomatoes were in the fridge for at least a week. Ripe tomatoes should never go in the fridge!! the mozzarella was very tough, dry and also completely tasteless. I expected the cheese to be fresh buffalo mozzarella but I was very wrong it was a very cheap type. Worst caprese salad I have ever had. Weird because I can't think of an easier salad to make if the ingredients are fresh and on hand.

The salmon smelled very fishy in the salad, was over cooked and I tried not to smell as I ate. They also forgot to put ingredients on the salad. They were nice when I told them and gave me what I was missing but its pretty embarrassing to have to tell everyone at the table why you gave the waitress your dish back.

What saved me from starvation was the bread and butter on the table.

Everyone else seemed to enjoy their meal though. Most had the cream of asparagus soup and it was good, I tasted it. Next time if I come back I think it would be safest to just order a pizza.

• Visited June 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Good location, mediocre food”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The restaurant is located near the theatres and right near the subway, and within walking distance to pretty much anywhere you need to get to in the downtown core. Service was decent, but the food was mediocre at best, while also somehow managing to be overpriced.