“You're going for the great sushi”
Review of Hiro Sushi

Hiro Sushi
Ranked #1,816 of 8,569 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You're going for the great sushi”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Walking in, you don't get a sense that you're walking into one of Toronto's best sushi restaurants. At first glance, it's not the decor that impresses you, or the interesting choice of classical and jazz music. You see a gentlemen behind a bar of chilled cabinets of various fish, making sushi. But you're going to have some of the best sushi that Toronto has to offer. The man behind the sushi bar is Hiro himself. It's worth sitting at the bar and talking to him to see what's in season and what he would recommend.

• Visited November 2012

• Indonesian first
Willowdale, Ontario
“Expensive and not filling”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

6 of us went for dinner. The food was tasty and obviously done by a sushi master. If you have a thick wallet and a hungry group of people, keep ordering. We spent approximately $130 per couple and we all just admitted that we ALL stopped for a fast food burger enroute home. Not something I have done before. What a shame.

Visited June 2012
“Great little spot”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

amazing food. cute spot. Nice quiet and very friendly staff. Sit at the chef table and watch them work wonders.

Visited October 2012
Toronto
“A great dining experience”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Growing up in a Japanese restaurant made me really picky with Japanese food. We love Hiro Sushi not only for his food, but also his generosity and great company. I am not surprised to find such mixed review on Tripadvisor. Similar to everyone else, we alway go for the Omakase with a mixture of both hot dish and sushi/sashimi. Don't expect fast service at Hiro's, as Omakase courses are served with longer wait time in between dishes. Every time we go, we expect to be there for at least 3 hours. Hiro does traditional edomae sushi and sometimes he adds a seasonal twist to it. Everyone's omakase is different, tell him what you are looking for so he gets an idea of how adventurous you are. Be open minded when you go to Hiro's, not only for food but also for the potential group of people you might meet at the sushi bar. Hiro's regular customers often fill the sushi bar, but there are new customers as well. Best part about sitting at the sushi bar:
- You get to see Hiro in action
- You get to ask questions about the ingredients, or his life story
- The regulars love to share what is good on & off the menu
- Meet people around the world and around the block
- Some customers will be happy to share their sake

Overall, this is hands down one of our favourite restaurant in Toronto.

• Visited April 2012
Toronto, Canada
“We weren't treated right”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I came in with my sister and we ordered chef's special for two (so it's a whole set of menu that you don't know that the chef will prepare). We were first seated by the window / door when the restaurant was empty. Mind you Hiro wasn't here. People go to this place for Hiro. Our sashimi platter was similar to any fast food sushi place. Our Salmon sashimi had a fish bone in it. My sister had to spit it out. We got an apology out of that. All other food was very medicore nothing special. The meal cost over $70 per person for something I could have had at say.. Sushi Time (a cheaper alternative of a sushi). I felt like because we're not corporate customers or big customer were treated very differently. I have heard good things about this restaurant but my experience there was just terrible. One of the worst. The place could use a clean up too. Fruit flies were hovering! I don't remember when I went but it was close to winter. I would never go there again.

• Visited November 2011