“Almost excellent.”

Neighborhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
New York City, New York
“Almost excellent.”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

(Really this should be 4.5 stars). My guest and I were from NYC and seeking Toronto's best vegan restaurant. We believe we may have found it. We were VERY happy with our meal, and would definitely return if we were ever in the city again. Our waitress was great, to begin with.

The Food:

The charcuterie plate: The least strong of what we ate, though still pleasing and interesting. It was a clearly creative dish, with two different types of "meat," a "cheese," an olive tapenade, olives, bread, pate, celery root and more. Both my guest and I agreed that the meat was the least successful. The cheese was pretty good, the pate and the tapenade were very good, as was the bread and the celery root.

The fried oyster appetizer: Delicious, though the kale underneath, while great on its own, was overpoweringly onion-y for our taste.

The mustard crusted tempeh: AMAZING. The meat itself was great, but the truly amazing part of this dish? There were 10 different items on the plate, and they worked together harmoniously. There was mushroom, spinach, broccoli, sweet potato mash, white potatoes, mango salsa and more on this plate, and it was all perfect.

The sticky toffee pudding: Yummy, and worth it, though not the best vegan dessert I've had. The cake itself was not truly a sponge cake (though I actually prefer it that way). It was unexpectedly banana-y, though that's not necessarily a negative. The date sauce would have brough more of the fruit flavor into it, instead of just being super sweet, though that and the almond tuile were still good.

The malbec was disappointing, though my guest truly enjoyed her beer.

...A must try overall...

• Visited January 2014

Toronto, Canada
“My non-veg friend loved it too”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I loved everything about it. Food, service, decor, mood, creativeness and presentation. Even the cocktails and music rocked. The only problem we had was deciding what to order - every item on the menu sounded great. We started with corn soup, then crispy oysters, sliders, beet salad, seitan...everything delivered on its promise. Next time I'm definitely going to leave room for the cookies and cream dessert.

• Visited December 2013
Toronto, Canada
“I can't believe it's not chicken!”
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

A vegan friend and I go out for dinner a couple of times a month. I am an omnivore, but love good food, no matter what style or source.
Last night we went to Grasslands. There isn't signage, so I walked past it first. The decor is comfortable, chic and warm.
We split a 'chicken' Caesar salad that was fresh and vibrant. It wasn't overdressed, which can be the case with a Caesar, and the sesame seeds gave a great textural and taste contrast. The 'chicken' cutlet was savoury and hearty.
For mains, my friend had the mustard crusted tempeh, and I had the fried 'chicken'. The plating for both dishes was appealing and artistic, the portions were more than generous and the flavours were outstanding. My chicken coating was crispy and beautifully spiced, the 'chicken' was juicy and succulent. The rapini garnish was fragrant with garlic. The gravy wasn't to my taste, and the potatoes a little wrinkled and soft, but the overall dish was very good.
I will return to Grasslands, and recommend this restaurant for anyone who enjoys a vegan take on food.

Visited December 2013
“Interesting menu but felt sick afterwards for days”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Me and my bf ate there a couple of weeks ago.
I liked that there was a nice number of interesting dishes on the menu.
The food in itself tasted ok- not overwhelming - but ok.
But we both felt very sick for the next 2 days. Whether this was because of the food here or some other bacteria I'm not certain ...

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“This place can turn eat meaters in Vegan or help them reduce animal food consumption”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great place to have guilty-free food! Love the fact that they also offer wheat, gluten and nut free dishes. The "crusted chicken" was delicious and the mustard crusted tempeh was also really good. Definitely need to go back to try more!

• Visited September 2013