“What happened”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: Wellington Street
Description: Located in Toronto's energetic Financial District, Far Niente features an atmosphere of relaxed elegance and style with an impressive blend of open space dining that also offers easy intimacy. Executive Chef Pat Riley's vibrant New World-inspired cuisine presents a blend of seasonal artisan products, intense flavors, and stunning presentations. Far Niente offers professional, gracious service that accommodates every guest's need. Far Niente has once again been acclaimed as one of the Distinguished Restaurants of North America (DiRoNa). Far Niente offers complimentary parking after 5:30pm at Commerce Court, and is centrally located to all financial, theatre and concert centres.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Not what is used to be. And what ever happened to the magical Lobster Pot Pie? This used to be a really good place, now it is just average. What a shame

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Appropriately the restaurants' name means "do nothing" in Italian and there is nothing that comes out of their kitchen that is good.
We started with stale bread and the appetizer of white asparagus. Three toothpick thin green asparagus arrived 10 minutes later. When i informed the waitstaff that I had ordered the white asparagus he smiled and told me that they havent had the white asparagus in more than two weeks! Our original server never returned to ask if everything was ok.
Our mains were ok - well presented but flavourless. The poutine was the best dish.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Had dinner with a number of friends last week and it really didn't live up to our expectations. There is a good selection of wine and menue items that would suit most peoples appitite! We found the food to be only okay and the service not so good. At the time of our visit I was quite surprised to see only 7 other guest dining in the restaurant.

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The food here is reliably good and choices can satisfy most. Wine list is good. Service, unfortunately, is poor for an otherwise great restaurant. I come here often for business lunches because its a comfortable room with a great menu. I would likely spend more on drinks, coffees, and so on but it's hard to get waiters attention and they don't offer suggestions. This restaurant leaves a lot of money on the table with unprofessional service (its expense account so I can spend more! Duh). At least the slow service gives me more time with customers. If you aren't pressed for time then you will enjoy this restaurant.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

A few years ago this was the restaurant I went to EVERY single time I was in town. LOVED IT! Food was great, atmosphere nice, location easy to get to, etc. It had everything going for it! It was a place to go on business or for a romantic night out - can't beat that!
I'm not sure if there has been a change in management or if having highly snotty, unprofessional wait staff and untalented chefs preparing food is the new thing - but my last experience there was far from pleasant and I have no intention of returning.
We found the menu changed and selection wasn't what it had been previously. The waitress we had was inconsistent (this table gets water and bread but that table doesn't, this table will have their order taken within 10 minutes of being seated but that table will wait 25 minutes, etc).
When you asked the waitress for simple things (i.e. water refill) or to review the wine menu, she acted annoyed.
My dinner guest actually felt as though she felt certain patrons "didn't belong" there with her snotty attitude towards some and friendly manner towards others - I can't say I disagree with him much.
Our food arrived cold, and not prepared to specifications. It took ten minutes of trying to wave our server down before another staff member saw us and he quickly assisted.
When we did finally get our meals back we were disappointed with what we had - tasteless, boring and bland!
It was a very expensive tab ($500 with meals, wine and tip for 2 adults) and frankly it was the worst meal I've had in Toronto. We will not be returning.