“What was the big deal? Small portions. Big prices.”
Review of EL Sol

EL Sol
Ranked #1,684 of 9,121 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East York
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My friend used to rave about this place and their tequila. We went there and I just don't get what the big deal with about. I love Mexican food and after having the real thing, this place was really disappointing! Their guacamole was too small and rather ordinary. My dish was a let down. Nothing tasted particularly great and the portions were small. It is hard to find really good Mexican food in Toronto and I welcome recommendations. On a positive note, their decorations are really nice.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Come here often for mothers day,fathers day, and for birthdays,
Went here for birthday dinner and recommend the combo platter (they have vegetarian,which is my fav also).

Love the decor,though our table was a bit wobbly near the wall.

Food was EXCELLENT as always, though a slight bit of burnt taste in one item, but still very good.

Only complaint is even ordering in advance, food did take awhile to come, but at least you are waiting for well cooked, GOOD FOOD! :)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

A thousand times better than Milagro on Mercer. Better food. Better service. More authentic. Will return.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Really good food, lovely walls, very nice owner.
I agree about the wait that other reviewers mention - there is an incredibly long wait for food.
So .. as long as you're not in a hurry, then it's great.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

A large bunch of us, family and friends ranging in age from 19 to 55, had heard good things about El Sol so we were eager to try it out.
Here are the comments from the group:
- Our drinks came really fast after we ordered but then we waited 30 minutes for our two appetizers (how long does it take to melt cheese on nachos?) and over an HOUR for our mains. There were only 5 tables occupied in the restaurant while we were there, and one couple walked out without ordering after waiting a ½ hour for someone to come and take their order.
- I asked for a dish made with chicken, but the server brought it with mushrooms instead, and said that it didn’t come with chicken. I should have read the menu more closely, but he should have told me that it didn’t come with chicken when I ordered.
- The food wasn’t exceptional, I could make it better at home.
- The meat platter wasn’t as described. It was a small layer of meat underneath a lot of vegetables that I wasn’t expecting.
- My food was very greasy.
- Good meat/beans/rice.
- I enjoyed the flavouring of the rice.
- My shrimp dish had 5 lovely huge shrimp but the sauce (made with diced onions & green peppers) was boring and greasy. I ate the shrimp and left the rest.
- The servers use a cafeteria cart to serve the food and clear the tables. It rattled loudly on the tile floor and was very distracting every time it went by. It made me think I was in a school cafeteria and not a nice restaurant.
- Hearing the server and the cook shouting at each other in the kitchen was unpleasant and made me feel uncomfortable.

Bottom line: take the warnings of slow service from this and other reviews seriously. We're not exaggerating at all. If you want to spend a long, slow evening and have 3 hours to spend then you won't be inconvenienced, but we didn't and had to eat quickly and rush out.