“One of my all-time favourite restaurants”
Review of EL Sol

EL Sol
Ranked #1,675 of 8,772 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East York
Reviewed April 30, 2012

El Sol is in my neighbourhood, so I'm a regular there (by regular, I mean maybe once every couple of months or so). Can't go for too long without my El Sol fix!

It's true that you don't get your food in a hurry. Know this before you go, and don't expect it to be fast food, because that's not the point of El Sol. This is a place you go when you want to make it your entertainment for the evening, not on your way to something else. You will spend a good two or three hours there, and you won't be rushed out of your table, even when it's busy. And the service is very friendly and warm.

I love the pina coladas there (generous and rich), and my husband likes the margaritas.

The prices can be a bit high for the entrees (although they are so delicious and generous that I think they're worth it), but if you look at the first page of the menu at the antojitos, those have much more reasonable prices, and I dare you to try to finish the whole thing. My favourite thing there is the Tacos Albanil, which is a vegetarian dish - tacos filled with refried beans and cheese, along with mexican rice and a salad. I can never finish the whole thing - plan to take half of your meal home for the next day, and then you see the value!

The guacamole is to die for - be sure to order it as a starter before your meal, especially if you need to take the edge off your hunger while waiting for your main course.

The decor - awesome. Lots of beautiful Mexican artwork, and if you see it on the wall, it's for sale. The Mexican hats in the back are not for sale, but they encourage you to try them on and take pictures, which can be fun.

If you have a special event, they will work with you to make it great. I had an event there last year, with 65 guests, and the buffet they put on was out of this world - everyone loved it, and the price was very reasonable per head.

Come here for some delicious, slow food and enjoy your evening at a relaxed pace.

1  Thank FromOntariariario

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Visited this restaurant twice over the past couple of years. First time, went with friends, food good enough, service really slow. Restaurant itself was packed. Thought the slow and inattentive service might be a one-off. Recently, we decided we wanted Mexican food again--this restaurant is in our neighborhood so we should be there all the time. Here's why we're not: although the place wasn't super busy, we waited to be seated for some time before we had to tackle a staff person to get her attention. Then, we're dropped at our table, no offer of drinks or anything, and we review the menu and wait...and wait...finally someone came over to take our order: an unsmiling "What do you want?" was the greeting. Huh. So we gave our food order to the waiter--we were eating light and wanted entrees only--and he said, "Do you want appetizers? Because the entrees are going to take a long time." We looked around at the other tables and asked, "How long?" He said, "I don't know--everyone ordered at once so it will take a while." Quite taken aback, we said never mind, we won't stay because we don't want to wait, and we put on our coats. When we hit the sidewalk, he came after us and yelled, "Are you leaving? You need to let me know you're leaving!" We were left hungry, embarrassed at being yelled at by a waiter, and disappointed once again at El Sol. We won't go back.

1  Thank Catherine K
Reviewed February 28, 2012

El Sol does indeed serve some of the best tasting Mexican food in Toronto -- but that doesn't mean it's the best Mexican Restaurant in Toronto. El Sol is quaint, if a tad funky looking (in a good colourful way), and located in a somewhat up-and-coming trendy area of The Danforth -- but its prices are definitely up-scale and downtown (eg. $22 for a main served with rice and beans. Not inappropriate for Queen W. - but a shock for Danforth E.). The service is excruciatingly slow -- snail paced even -- so do not arrive hungry or with plans for doing anything after dinner. However that being said, if you have the pocket-book and the time the dinning experience here can be very enjoyable. The food tastes terrific -- which is often worth the wait and sometimes worth the price.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

This is my favorite mexican restaurant in Toronto, though it is not downtown and am rarely in that area which makes it a bit dear.

Went for mother's birthday with reservations in advance, and I will say it can take a long time (sometimes 30 mins) to get your food but it tastes so fresh and authentic mexican and just plain good. The decor is so colourful and fun and real artists there makes it neat!

Great for a group gathering, I love their glasses so much that I bought a hand made indigo colored glass for $10 after asking if I could please buy one. (I drink out of it every morning now).

I recommend, the vegetarian combo #10 (for 2 people) or combo #9 (also for 2 people)
It is a tad more expensive than it used to be but still so good and great sized portions, you will not leave hungry!

1  Thank Luke242
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I love, love, love this restaurant. It's amazing food, casual atmosphere, and always good. My favourite is the vegetarian platter - and sangria. Everything tastes fresh and (be warned!) the portions are generous. The cactus salad is good too - I've never tried anything I didnt enjoy?

1  Thank suzanne_baal