“Not bad but a bit tired looking.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Duke of York

Duke of York
Reserve with OpenTable
Duke of York is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #587 of 8,432 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Midtown
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
“Not bad but a bit tired looking.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Recently went to this bar/restaurant for an event and although it is in a very busy section of Toronto, the interior is supposed to have an old English charm but shabby is more what comes off. Some of the other guests noted that even though there is no smoking the fabrics smelt like cigarettes. This is either due to the fact it was there prior to the no-smoking days or too many people smoke and then return inside and the scent is retained. Perhaps a good shampoo is in order if not a complete upholstery. The seating was either hard as a rock or foam so worn out in the booths that it was uncomfortable. I cannot speak of the food as it was trays of finger fare, very basic and not well presented. More like something someone cut up at home and put out on the back deck without any care of presentation. I had one mixed drink and asked for Gin & Tonic and got Gin and Soda? The one good point is the bathroom was clean. The staff was very cheery but all in all this is not a place I would rush to try again.

• Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
“Yorkville area pub was awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were staying at the Intercontinental in Yorkville - high end in a very expensive area. On our evening walks near the hotel, we found ourselves in the land of restaurants that had appetizers that cost as much as what we are used to paying for meals and every kind of luxury and exotic car parked curbside. We were a bit out of our league. Then we came across Duke of York. We were happy with their food, their prices, their drinks, their menu - but most of all their servers and patrons were the friendliest people we encountered while visiting Toronto from the US. Duke of York made us feel right at home. We would recommend drinks and dinner here to anyone.

Visited April 2013
Toronto
“Serviceable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Oddly, several decades ago I lived a stone's throw from this pub but this is my first visit. We were going to an evening concert at Koerner hall and needed a place to have dinner first. There isn't much to pick from within a block radius of the hall.

Duke of York brands itself as a British pub with authentic fare. The menu sounds authentic (bangers and mash, shepherd's pie, curried chicken, fish and chips plus the customary burgers, salads, etc.) but I don't think they follow through with the goods.

We were greeted cordially and shown to our reserved table. It was a steamy summer evening and there was rain off and on, so the outdoor patio was understandably closed; not much atmosphere outside anyway since a looming glass apartment tower next door is peering down into your bald spots and cleavages. The air conditioning seems inconsistent in various areas and our area seemed rather warm and humid. I asked the waitress about it (veiled suggestion: crank up the A/C, please) but she dismissed my concern as "body heat" in that area. Not really helpful or even understanding. I have to rate the service as average but that includes parts that were a little above and a little below.

I had a glass of Valpolicella which was a bit too light IMO. I've had better. Ed's tea came in a lovely British teapot but the tea itself was rather pedestrian. And we do know good British tea.

Ed ordered his standard fare: a plainish burger. He rated it as a 3½ out of 5. It came with chips (translation for Americans: "fries") which tasted fresh, and crispy outside but nicely soft inside — which I sampled; probably the best thing we were served.

I took the opportunity and ordered the chicken curry since I never have curry at home. The curry was medium hot but not especially fragrant or flavourful; the kitchen didn't even get the salt right. It came accompanied by rice and a flatbread. And there were potatoes in the curry. And nothing like greens, salad or what-have-you to balance the meal. With the rice, bread, potatoes and thick curry, quite top-heavy with starches. The best part was the chutney. That particular meal gets only two stars. Overall, I rate the food at 2½ but T/A doesn't allow for fractions.

A little over $50 with a 15% tip.

All-in-all a place I wouldn't rush to again although there's not much choice in this neighbourhood. So: "serviceable" (that's not saying much) if you're in need but next time, we may try one of the hotels nearby.

• Visited June 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Nice pub, nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

The fish and chips was good, nothing amazing. The atmosphere is the best part, it was pretty good. A nice pub, we went with a small group and had a good time. It won't blow your mind, but it's solid.

• Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“great food, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

we have been here twice now... tried fish and chips and a burger, but i want to go back to try the moroccan stew.

• Visited April 2013