“Met all expectations”

Canoe Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Canoe Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 8,898 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: Bay and Wellington Streets
Transit: King and Bay
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went there for a special occasion. The service was excellent - as expected for this kind of restaurant. Knowledgeable sommelier (they have also a few interesting off-the-wine-list choices). The food was excellent as well, with modern but well paired combinations. The view is of course amazing. As you enter the dinning room, don't let the staring looks from other guests scare you off.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,623)

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I love the atmosphere of this bar style restaurant. The service and the food were totally worth the price. We are happy that the servers did not do lots of small talks....

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Had a great Summerlicious meal here. Service was impeccable and the food was very good. Got a very nice table for 4 with a great view. Didn't expect that given we had indicated we were doing the Summerlicious! Everyone enjoyed their meal and our server was very attentive and efficient. Wouldn't be able to go here if it weren't for the summerlicious deal but definitely think the food is worth it. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Always enjoy our meals here. Made the reservation on Open Table and mentioned it was our anniversary and requested a table with a view. We were seated at a lovely window table with the table and chairs set up so both of could enjoy the view. We ordered the tasting menu with wine matching. They started us with a complementary glass of champagne for our anniversary, a nice touch. All the servers were very professional and each course was served and plated beautifully. Our main waiter was very informative about each of the sake, wine and port selections. $350 for 2. Complementary underground parking makes coming into the Financial District easy, especially nice if you are dressed up and the weather is rotten. Just a note, you have to go through the underground mall, up an escalator and then find the elevator - allow some time to find your way.

I have one suggestion – we are both tall and still found the tables a bit high for comfort. Perhaps lower the tables or raise the height of the seats.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I went to Canoe during the Summerlicious week last week. I don't know if they meant to offer subpar menu to customers coming for Summerlicoius, but I certainly didn't expect to pay $60 in total for an D- grade food and service in a high-end restaurant.

I'm a vegetarian and there was no vegetarian main course on the Summerlicous menu, but I was told the chef could make something. So I went with a friend. The main course turned out to be Tofu that tasted as bland and as lacking any creativity as you can imagine. I'm Asian so I've plenty of Tofu dishes in my life including those at takeout diners or health food stores (e.g. Big Carrot) in Toronto. Sadly Canoe's tofu dish is one of the worst I've tasted. Considering it's a high-end restaurant, you'd expect the chef would make something to wow the customers. Instead, they managed to completely turn me off.

And the snobbish waiter who served our table didn't help, When I gave a lukewarm response to the waiter who asked me how my Tofu dish was, he gave me a "what can you expect" response (since it's not on the menu).

All in all:
Waiter D- ;
All other staff (Busboy, food server) A+

Words of advice:
1. Stay away their Tofu dishes or any Asian dishes
2. It's not worth going for food or the atmosphere. But it is a great place for scenic view. Better to pay $10 at the bar looking out the window to see the lake and CN Tower.

12  Thank CeeJ W