“Great food and fabulous view”

Canoe Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Canoe Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 8,897 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: Bay and Wellington Streets
Transit: King and Bay
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Went to Canoe on a recommendation and glad we did. The view was fabulous overlooking the lake from the 54th floor. The food was very good and the service was excellent. Weekday evening has a large business crowd. It is not a place to bring children.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,623)

Reviewed May 25, 2013

It was mine and my wife's first time dining here, and everything surpassed my expectations! We went here to celebrate our 9 year anniversary (2 years of bf/gf and 7 years of marriage)! Despite the cost, it made us to want to come here again and again and again :) lol! Great Service! Great Food! Great View!

My wife and I had the Taste Tree with Local Wine pairing (150 per person). According to one of the servers, this taste tree changes 2-3 months. This is what we had:

1.) Amuse Bouche - the one that we had was basically a beautifully plated single oyster, it was a good start. This was paired with Sakura Sake which was from Ontario

2.) Bison Carpaccio - It was pretty good!!! I can still imagine it right now! We do not usually eat raw meat but I am thinking that we are missing a lot by not trying this particular food group! YUMMMY! This was paired with a very strong wine, which was the Hubbs Creek Pinot Noir 2009 from PEI

3.) The next one was my favorite of all the courses => Spruced Partridge Risotto - Perfecto!!!! YUMMMY!!!! It was so good that I wanted to lick the plate from the remaining sauce that was in it. This was paired with another red wine from Ontario, Lailey Zweigelt 2011

4.) The next one is just basically an intermission, to cleanse our palates :) Wintergreen Intermezzo

5.) The next is the Main Entree! In our current Taste Tree, there was 2 offerings: St. Canut Pork Loin/Maple Braise Belly and Sumac Crusted Sablefish. My wife had the former one, while I had the latter! I forgot to mention, I had been a vegetarian for 5 months, and this was basically my cheat day! LOL! The Sablefish was cooked to perfection, according to my standards :), it was moist and the knife just sliced through it like it was nothing! And the fish's crust was, for lack of words and the best way to describe it is YUMMY!! DROOL!

My wife also let me try her dish, and it was equally YUMMY! Looking at the skin, you would think it would not be crispy, but it was! It was, believe me! LOL If I was not full, I would have asked more from her plate, which she also was not able to finish since she was also full.

6.) For dessert we had the Birch P&P tart! They had a Happy Anniversary sign on the plate! Awwwwwwww! Nice touch! Again, this was another perfect course! The plating was of this course was beautiful! The pears was caramelized prefectly and the other items on the plate like the pastry cream was great!

7.) Petit Fours - The last one is just basically their version of candies that normal restaurants give! We had a blueberry and caramel on the plate!

Also, I do not want to forget this particular food item, which made the whole night great as the other food items and service, they serve and re-serve pretty good and soft bread! And they had, I believe, a Baba Ganoush as the dip!

The service was equally great as the food! For me, I view the service more important than food in rating a restaurant. Our waiter was pretty attentive to us and he explained the items, particularly the wines, pretty well and he also refills our water as soon as the glass is almost empty! Now, that is what you call SERVICE! And then if our basket of bread is empty, another server refills it! WOW! And when my wife or I goes to the washroom, someone would fold our napkin, they even unfold it for my wife!! :D :) ;) So that is why I was happy to give a 70 dollar tip at the end! I gave 40 directly to our waiter and 30 to share for the other servers!

I made a mistake of doing this review before I had dinner! So hungry right now, and writing this made me hungrier!LOL! Good thing my wife, was also in time in serving me my dinner!

I would certainly come back here with my wife and kids, when they get older, as well as with my friends!

Delicioso! Perfecto!

1  Thank Chazvey
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Tremendous food with some unusual flavours, excellent location and first rate service. Staff friendly and knowledgable. Would recommend for special occasion.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Where do I begin? The quality of ingredients, creativity on the plate, and the finished product are always bang on. Great service, ambiance and view as well - this is a fabulous restaurant for any occasion.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

The service and food were excellent. Had a lovely table by the window, but even the tables on the inside area looked very nice. Food was superb. Portions were nice... Not too big not too small. If you order an entree, a main, and a dessert you will leave feeling satisfied but not too full. The different flavours on each plate are simply amazing. It's so nice to sample what Canada has to offer in terms of amazing quality food. This place is expensive (plan on well over $200 for dinner for two incl tax and tip) but you get what you pay for. Free parking in TD Centre if you park after 530pm. I would eat here weekly if I could afford it.