“Long waits, raw chicken”
Review of Brownstone Bistro

Brownstone Bistro
Ranked #494 of 8,569 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Family owned Italian/Continental fusion restaurant. We have been a staple in the Yonge and Wellesley community for the past 13 years. Just recently we underwent a major renovation courtesy of the TV show Restaurant Takover on the Food Network. Ambiance is elegant and classy without being pretentious or stuck up. Our exceptionally-trained staff provide our guests with fast and efficient service while ensuring they feel relaxed and comfortable, never rushed. But most importantly, they make sure our guests feel welcome in our home.
Saint Thomas, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Long waits, raw chicken”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had great expectations for this place, reading about its reviews and overall ranking among other restaurants in Toronto. My husband and I went here for our 1st year anniversary. We started out with a pitcher of Sangria (which was average), my husband received his appetizers, which he thought were very good, and then waited an hour for our main course. The staff came up and apologized for the wait and that they would accommodate us with free dessert. Our main courses finally showed up and my stuffed chicken breast was raw in the middle. I had to send it back and didn't end up eating anything that night except for a glass of Sangria and my dessert! They accommodated us for the raw chicken by not charging us for our alcohol. Overall, the staff did try to correct the problem but ended up being a disappointment!

• Visited August 2013
Mark Y, Owner at Brownstone Bistro, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We always value hearing what our guests think.

Our apologies about the long wait times and for the mistake involving the chicken. Sanitation and public health is a major focus of ours. Unfortunately it was not evident in this situation and I am incredibly sorry about that, especially considering you did not get to eat on your anniversary. I do hope the staff still offered you another option once you discovered the chicken was not to your liking.

Again, my most sincere apologies. I assure you this was a one time occurrence and my hope is that you would allow us another opportunity to prove why we are so well regarded in the city.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review. All the best!

Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful Food”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had their special, Lamb Shank served with a heavenly sweet potatoes. The meat was sautéed to perfection. One of my dining guests had chicken breast with goat cheese, spinach and berries. He said it was excellent. The other guest had the green salad. It was nothing to write home about.

The waiter was pleasant but sort of unattentive until it was time to pay! The bread looked like it had been pulled a part by hand rather than sliced. The Bruschetta was a expensive for what you got.

The beer glasses and pitchers were not matched to the type of beer. The glasses had certainly been well worn.

• Visited July 2013
Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review. We always value hearing our guests thoughts. The more detail, the better. Allows us to determine where we can improve.

Really glad to hear you enjoyed your meals. Our kitchen staff uses only the freshest ingredients to ensure the food is of top quality. Great to see it showed!

My apologies about the lack of attentiveness from the server. This is not a normal occurrence at the Brownstone but I certainly do appreciate your honesty. We will be sure to address the situation, whether it be by providing more servers on the floor or having management provide more support to the servers when they are busy

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review. Hope you have a great summer. All the best!

PS. Thank you for bringing the glassware to my attention. I have placed an order with multiple beer reps to ensure we have the proper branded glasses for the proper beers.
Bay City, Michigan
“A nice meal”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Nothing to rave about, but it was a good meal at a price expected for Toronto. We did not have reservations, but were seated promptly. Service was good.

Visited June 2013
Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We always value our guests thoughts.

Great to hear that the service was good and the meal was enjoyable. Hopefully next time you're in town we'll make sure it's a meal you rave about ;)

Thanks again for the review. Hope you enjoyed your time in Toronto and had a safe trip back. All the best!
Leamington, Canada
“Great food, fantastic value, close to theatre”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My daughter and I were going to see a show at the Panasonic Theatre. This bistro is very close to the theatre, very good service is provided, and excellent food. The night before we ate at a chain lobster/fish restaurant and actually paid more money for food of much less quality and taste.

Visited July 2013
Hi,

Thank you so much for the great review! We always love hearing our guests thoughts. My apologies that your previous nights dinner was not as enjoyable but happy to see we were able to re-establish your faith in Toronto restaurants :)

Thanks again for the great review. All the best to you. Hope to see you next time you're in town
“Incredible food and really nice people!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The pumpkin ravioli and the chicken penne were superb. The red velvet cake was mouth watering. The atmosphere was fun. And the staff was friendly and inviting. This place is a neighborhood gem. Don't miss it when you're in Toronto.

• Visited June 2013
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We love hearing what our guests think, whether it's positive or negative so thank you for that.

Great to hear you folks enjoyed your pasta's and desserts. Both the chicken penne and the red velvet cake are customer favourites so you chose well!

Thanks again for the great review. Hope to see you again soon. All the best!