“The Best!!!!!!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Family owned Italian/Continental fusion restaurant. We have been a staple in the Yonge and Wellesley community for the past 13 years. Just recently we underwent a major renovation courtesy of the TV show Restaurant Takover on the Food Network. Ambiance is elegant and classy without being pretentious or stuck up. Our exceptionally-trained staff provide our guests with fast and efficient service while ensuring they feel relaxed and comfortable, never rushed. But most importantly, they make sure our guests feel welcome in our home.
Barrie Ontario
“The Best!!!!!!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I love this place!!!!
It's good for any day of the week!!!
I love steak nite (fri)
The staff is amazing, owner and manager awesome!!!
Beautiful patio in the summer

Visited February 2013
Mark Y, Owner at Brownstone Bistro, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We always value hearing our guests thoughts, especially when they are positive.

That's fantastic to hear you enjoyed the steaks. We hand cut all of our steaks to ensure they are of the utmost quality. Now that the summer has hit as well, you'll be glad to know that the patio is open for the summer. Hope you can make it out!

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Toronto, Canada
“Disappointing from start to finish.”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

A friend and I went for Winterlicious…I know Brownstone is a staple in the area and was interested in checking it out after seeing the makeover on TV. The new décor looks great, but that’s about the only positive comment I have after our dinner there.

Upon arrival, staff seemed a little scattered and after figuring out where to put us, (we had a reservation) pointed us in the direction of our table, rather than walking us there.

A run down of the meal… coffee was cold and tasteless, so a fresh pot was brewed. Second cup was hot, but just as flavourless. All of our courses were as lukewarm as they were lacking in any presentation. I don’t know about other diners, but I eat with my eyes first. A plate that looks slapped together and set under a heat lamp doesn’t exactly make me want to dive in. My friend started with ‘Spicy Short Ribs’ that were neither spicy, nor short ribs. I ordered my striploin medium-rare, but it came out closer to well done. The desserts were practically unrecognizable and we had to check the menu again to see what we had ordered. Banana tempura should be warm and crispy, not cold and soggy.

I’m slightly embarrassed to say that we didn’t leave a tip. As a former server, I felt like a bit of a traitor, but I’m a firm believer that tips aren’t mandatory and should, in fact, be earned. In all honesty, any one of these slips could be completed overlooked, if they had happened on their own. So why take it out on the server? He represents the back of the house as much as the front. When a dish looks inedible, he should have it remedied in the kitchen, before it’s even set in front of a guest. And he should also be available to guests, should they need to raise an issue.

I’m not sure if this was an off night because Winterlicious can be a busy time for any restaurant, but that’s really no excuse. Reservations are made for a reason and if organized and staffed properly, there’s no reason the service and food can’t be outstanding. I see this fixed-price festival as an opportunity to win over new clientele or at least earn good word of mouth, but Brownstone Bistro will be getting neither from me.

Mark Y, Owner at Brownstone Bistro, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. It really helps us to pinpoint where we can improve. My apologies that your evening was so horrid. I assure you this is not something that is indicative as to the kind of service/dining experience we provide here at the Brownstone. I have brought all of your points up with our kitchen staff and servers and they have assured me that nothing like this will happen again. I do want to mention though that none of our food is precooked and put under a heat lamp. All of our food is made fresh to order.

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a detailed review. It has really helped open our eyes. In the sad case that you choose not to dine with us again, at least you have provided us with invaluable information which can prevent this from happening again to other patrons.

Toronto, Canada
“Decent Food; Poor Service”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We've been here 7-8 times as we live just around the corner. This is the first time I've submitted a review. The food here is decent. The TripAdvisor rating is likely a bit high for the quality of the food, but I've never had a "bad meal". Most are above average, but nothing too special. Good value, though. The restaurant is clean and has a good atmosphere. My only issue is with the service. The servers are fairly inattentive overall. I've noticed this with many of them, not just 1 or 2 (we've probably have 4-5 over the course of our visits). Maybe they are not trained properly? Last night was the worst service we experienced. The guy was nice enough, but just not good. He sat us, then forgot to bring us menus. After sitting another couple, giving them menus, and taking their drink/meal orders, he realized he forgot our menus. No apologies, just an awkward chuckle. I ordered an 8 oz. sirloin steak. The food came and was good! When he came to see how it was for the first time, literally I had just taken my last bite. When he brought me the bill, I asked why it was $18 on the menu and $27 on my bill. He said "you ordered the 8 oz. tenderloinn". I wasn't going to make a big deal, but we both knew I ordered the striploin. We thought it was a good deal so I would give it a try. The tenderloin was good, but not what I ordered. No apology, no change to the bill. He just said "I was certain you ordered the tenderloin". I wasn't going to make a scene, so we just overpaid for our meal and left LOL. In summary, the food is decent, but the service overall is lacking here. We likely won't be coming back, despite the fact we literally live around the corner. We will use this as a last resort during snow storms!

1 Thank Ken34
Mark Y, Owner at Brownstone Bistro, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We always value our guests opinions.

My apologies about the poor service you received. We like to pride ourselves on the fact that we give efficient and personable service, as made evident from previous reviews. I'm very sorry to see that was not the case. Would you be able to send me an e-mail elaborating on your experience a little more? I'd love the opportunity to make it right, especially considering you do live in the neighborhood. We pride ourselves on being a neighborhood establishment. You can reach me at info@brownstonebistro.ca

Thanks again for taking the time to write the review. I really do hope to hear from you so we can rectify the situation. Thanks again. All the best!
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fab restaurant ! go there ...”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

from the reviews on here, went in last night (Friday night) busy lively place, good atmosphere. Service was quick without being toop pushy. good choice of mains and starters for a good price.Went for the meatballs, very nice followed by cheese cake - both recommended, yup, happy to recommed and if i cant find anything locally tonight that looks good, I will be back in there :-)

Mark Y, Owner at Brownstone Bistro, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. Always a pleasure hearing what our guests think, especially those visiting from other countries!

Happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us despite it being a snowy Friday night. Also great to see the staff were able to provide you with good recommendations.

Thanks again. Hope to see you next time you're in Toronto. All the best!
Toronto, Canada
“a great dining experience”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We took my daughter and her partner to Brownstone's for her birthday, and it was amazing.
The food was excellent, and the service was truly exceptional - highly personalized, with just the right amount of attention paid to our party. I can't believe it was my first time there - it certainly won't be our last!
We would definitely recommend it to our friends...

• Visited January 2013
Mark Y, Owner at Brownstone Bistro, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Always great to hear our guests thoughts.

That's fantastic to see you folks enjoyed your time with us. We work incredibly hard to provide each of our guests their own personal experience here at the Brownstone. Great to see it shows!

Thanks again for the positive review. Look forward to seeing you again soon!