“Benihana delivers good food AND campy good fun”
Review of Benihana

Benihana
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #367 of 8,771 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: York Street
Transit: Benihana is located directly across from Union Station. Easily accessed by TTC Subway or GO Transit.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I arranged a family meal at Benihana in Toronto last December. It was a bit of gamble - I had never been, and I wasn't sure whether it would be "unspoiled 70's camp" or "dodgy food in a dingy setting". I needn't have worried. The restaurant is in the Royal York and it is a bit of an aptitude test to find it. The interior is right out of 1979 - unspoiled faux Japanese design from the time when Japan was just about to take over the world. We were seated at a cooking table, which made conversation amongst all the family members a bit hard, but the entertaining cooking and eating experience made up for it. The cook was friendly and theatrical, the cooking process was interesting and quick, and the food was really delicious. The staff were outstanding - helpful, flexible, and very professional. After the meal the family had a chance to enjoy the Royal York lobby on the way out. All in all it was a really fantastic experience, not cheap but worth every penny and more. I would go back in an instant, and I would recommend it to anybody looking for memorable dining experience for a group of 6-8 people.

1  Thank Mark R
RoyalYorkHotel, Tim Morrison, Hotel Manager at Benihana, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, it’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed your teppanyaki experience and would recommend it to anybody looking for a memorable meal. I’m also thrilled that our team was outstanding, helpful, flexible and professional. To touch on your comments regarding décor, we have made some recent updates and would also like to confirm that we have re-opened the exterior entrance to Benihana from York St to enable guests to enter from the street should they prefer this option over entering from inside the hotel.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went there for dinner. I picked a sake and the nice lady serving me recommended another one, which was definitely much better. The chef, who cooked on my table was quite entertaining. The food was also delicious. Still, check out the prices before you go in.

1  Thank ABudak
RoyalYorkHotel, Katharine, Customer Service at Benihana, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for your review of your experience in Benihana. It is great to know the recommendation from our server was appreciated and your Chef was quite entertaining. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

It was a very entertaining evening with the chef and other people around the cook top of the Japanese restaurant!

Excellent food!

RoyalYorkHotel, Katharine, Customer Service at Benihana, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

We are happy to know a very entertaining evening was enjoyed with excellent food in Benihana. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I haven't had teppanyaki in years, so this was a different experience which I cherished. The chef we had was quite polished in his knife skills. Filet mignon was very good size ( it was 8 oz but looked bigger than that ) and done perfectly. Accompanying veggies was plentiful.

Service was excellent, as our server was very observant and timing was precise. Our server told us the serving size of beef in Canada Benihana is larger than that in USA.

RoyalYorkHotel, Ashley, Customer Service at Benihana, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your teppanyaki experience—we are so thrilled that you enjoyed your dinner and were impressed by the Chef’s knife skills. It’s also wonderful to know that you received excellent service throughout your meal. We hope for an opportunity to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've been to several teppanyaki restaurants. This one had great food, but a lousy performance by the cook. He did 2 tricks. The first one he missed and the spatula fly towards my 8 year old niece. The second was making a tower of onions steam like a volcano. Not impressed at all. The cook wasn't engaging at all. I've had been at a resort in Cuba. Very expensive, but like I mentioned, good quality food. A mom and her son sat across from us and split a Main course between the 2 of them, however when the food was prepared on the grill, it was split between all of us, even though they only paid for one meal! There was literally one mushroom left by the time it got to my nephew.

RoyalYorkHotel, Katharine, Customer Service at Benihana, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. While we are happy to know you found the food to be great, we are concerned the performance did not exceed your expectations. We will follow-up with our team to ensure experiences are more reflective of the level of quality we strive to provide. I appreciate your bringing my attention to your experience.