“Unusual Greek”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The cold starters were mostly good. The hummus was only so so. The olive tapenade was very good. My salmon filet on rice with spinach was a tad overdone but tasty. The Greek white wine (bottled) was very good. My wife's lamb pie was delicious. The pastry was not overly heavy. The wait staff was attentive

1  Thank doreenandneil
There are newer reviews for Avli

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is my favourite Greek restaurant on the Danforth. Growing up in this neighbourhood and living here for many years, I have eaten in most of the eateries. If you are looking for a souvlaki, you have your pick - they are all carbon copies of each other. BUT if you are looking for a true greek dining experience you must try Avli. All dishes are prepared with love and taste like my mom's kitchen. Dishes created by master chef and storyteller Lambros include rabbit and spring onion pie and lamb shank. For vegetarians like me there is a huge selection like baked lima beans, okra in tomato sauce, artichokes and potatoes, rapini with roasted garlic and my favourite horta pie. Horta pie is bitter greens in a flaky crust -- simply a must. I eat there several times a week and have never been disappointed. Everything here is delicious and prepared fresh!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

The people who run this place are so friendly and seem genuinely happy to make sure you enjoy your meal. We had the grilled seafood platter for 2 and a bottle of Greek, red wine. It was wonderful!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went to this restaurant two weekends ago and I was set on having souvlaki (if that's how you spell it). The waitress talked me into having the lamp pie. I am so glad she did. It was AMAZING and everyone at my table was jealous. We had some great dips with pita and calamari to die for, for appetizers. Great greek wine was suggested and it was perfect with our food. To top it off the desserts were so yummy I forgot about my diet for the night. Thanks Avli!!!!

1  Thank frazandtina
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Lovely complimentary tapenade and freshly baked delicious bread.
Great appetizers.
Main dishes tried:chicken souvlaki, lamb souvlaki, moussaka.Enormous portions but...souvlaki skewers dry and overly salty.Rice and potatoes served at room temperature.Moussaka was not edible:graciously taken back, no charge.
Service:slow but with a smile.
Noise level:deafening.