“Good Greek choice, though bit more expensive then used to be”

Astoria Shish Kebob House
Ranked #1,268 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Went with family for dinner and everyone loved their food, have been going for over 20 years but had not been in many years.

Food was very good, though I wish they added a bit more salad and cost a bit less.

Have also picked up food since visiting and wasn't as good as in the restaurant but I guess that is to be expected. Can be very busy and noisy sometimes but food is usually worth it.

RECOMMEND THE CALAMARI, YUM!!!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

The ratings of most reviewers were average. I had to double check if it was indeed the same restaurant as we found the lunch very good. We enjoyed the Saganaki. The pork tenderloin was good, I may have expected it a little more tender, but the taste was great, the portions were generous, the service was good. All of us would go back.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I used to love the souvlaki and calamari here. We took my father in law out for dinner who was in town. The calimari was basically right out of the freezer section of M&M meat shop. Only the round pieces were present, no tentacles and it was bland as hell. The souvlaki, albeit, large in portion was rather chewy and tough, considering it was medium rare, also was quite bland as well. I've been here about eight times now...Astoria, I bid you adieu.

1  Thank MikePeddle
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went to Astoria last night, after not having been there for several years. We had a craving for a good greek salad and souvlaki.

We were sorely disappointed. First, they had no bottled water, only sparkly - we wanted flat. then we ordered some tzatiziki - and asked for white pita only as my wife can't eat whole wheat. They came back to the table and the basket was only whole wheat, they then said they ran out of white pita - it was 8:00pm on a sunday night - weird thing to run out of at a greek restaurant. kind of like mcdonalds running out of fries...

Then we asked for their garlic bread - or the bread they usually give on the table - they ran out of that also - but the waiter to be nice brought my wife a piece of white loaf - it looked like they had it for the 'munchi cake' tourists who wanted "white rolls" it was weird and not something you would have at a greek restaurant.

Then out came the greek salads - which were okay - not the best - but good as we remembered them. Then we had our souvlaki's - I had pork and my wife had chicken - i had fries with mine and she had rice and potatoes.

My plate was 5 small pieces of pork and 10 or so soggy fries - my wife's was loaded with lots of pieces of chicken and tons of rice and potatoes. we both had ordered the same size dinner option.

the meats were both excellent - and by the end of our eaating - we were both full but not fulfilled -

we were very let down and dissappointed. Long gone are the evenings of waiting in a long line to get in - with the owner who had the big teased grey hair and made you feel welcome and happy - this place has gone nowhere but down.

We would rather go to messina across the street for a souvlaki sandwich for half the price and get a great tastey meal -

I bet all the staples like Pappa's Grill and Christina's are all the same - sub standard food and lousy service and no care attitude!

If someone suggests going - take a pass!!!!! Too bad!!

1  Thank cormarToronto
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Great food and porition, but ive had tasier at a better value. But for the danforth this place is very good and at par with all the other places. The serving size is huge twice the amount i could eat, so it will satisfy the hungriest appeite! Busy place and you get to watch the food cook, the style of the building is really cool and feels like its greek.