“Can't wait to go back!”

Neighborhood: East End
Toronto, Ontario
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My friends and I visited for the first time this week before a concert at The Music Hall. (it is next door to the venue) We arrived at 6:15pm and it was already full! We surprisingly got a table right away. The selection of food and drink is amazing and our waitress was lovely! They have the most extensive scotch list. We were happy to find out they had Blanche de Chamblay on tap. Allen's draught beer was very good also. The decor is classic and had a great atmosphere.

I would rate the burgers 5/5, however, they do not come with a side. We ordered yukon gold fresh cut fries (4/5) and polenta fries (1/5). The polenta fries were disappointing, not to mention, the portion was small for $7.95. We also ordered sauteed onions for the burgers separately. One of my friends ordered the smoked trout salad, which she loved. Overall, we had a great time and are excited to go back to try their other menu items, which all looked delicious!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Superheroalo

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“One of the best on the Danforth”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great menu with an always interesting selection of offerings and suiting a range of pocketbooks as well, excellent daily specials (especially for lunch) and a fantastic staff. Love the cozy Irish pub-like atmosphere though Allen's can be a bit dark but it also has Toronto's best patio in the summer with an incredible bbq menu!

Visited February 2013
“consistently good”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Great bar offerings and spectacular food--delicious burgers and very friendly service. Busy place most nights.

Visited November 2012
Toronto, Canada
“I am surprized they didn't kick us out....”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am surprized they didn't kick us out being a large very loud group... but they kept serving us with smiles and seemed to enjoy that we were having a lot of fun. Probably good that we were on the inside and not on the back balcony disturbing the neighbours. Food is basic pub food but it is good and affordable. Very friendly and a great neighbourhood bar to hang out in with friends.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank PeterBruceG
Toronto, Canada
“The Danforth's Tallest Midget.”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I'm ambivalent about Allen's but it is the best high-end bar/restaurant on The Danforth. The Danforth's tallest midget, sort of.

Let me state up-front that I've spent thousands of dollars in Allen's over the years over scores of visits. So I think I know Allen's pretty well. John Maxwell, the owner even knows my name.

The physical restaurant is excellent. You can belly up to the bar, sit in a booth, sit at a table with a table cloth, sit at a raised table over-looking it all, and in the summer sit out back on the patio under an enormous shade tree.

Allen's features lots of polished wood with interesting photographs on the walls. The MGM 'More Stars Than There Are In Heaven' picture is fascinating.
Overall, the atmosphere feels kinda New Yorky.

So far so good.

The bartenders, often month-old Irish immigrants which is fun, can prepare mixed drinks though not too exotic. Manhattans, martinis and other basics are good but small. And Four Seasons expensive.

If you prefer beer you've certainly come to the right place. An ever-changing panoply of imports. Several on tap. Domestics need not apply.

The food is a different story. Almost all the items on offer have a distinct British heritage. Not the new London-Gordon Ramsay-haute cuisine city but the old London--the Fish and Chips capitol of the world.

The menu changes regularly.

The curries are solid but expected.
The affable and stylish Mr. Maxwell claims his are the best burgers in Toronto. The beef is from Royal Beef, maybe the top butcher in the east end. But they lack a little wow factor for me. Somehow, I always get the impression that the portions are small.

And all of it a little expensive.

So, if you're looking for fine dining on The Danforth this is as close as it's going to get, but at its heart, Allen's is still a local.
So, if you truly want a fine-dining experience, I might suggest moving further west.

• Visited December 2012