“New Chef and new decor required”

No photo provided
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Haven't been to Trapper's in many many years. Six of us went to dine there on Friday night. The place was basically empty except for us and a few of the owners family.

To make a long story short the place doesn't look like it has been updated or 'freshened up' since the last time I was there 20 years ago.

When I came in the front door there was a floor mop sitting in a bucket in the entrance. Not appealing.

I ordered the scallop and shrimp appetizer and the shrimp was done ok but the scallop was way way over cooked and mushy.

For the main course I ordered the strip loin medium rare as did another gentleman at the table and when the steak came and we tried it we both agreed the meat was not well prepared or of prime quality.

It came overdone and tough. Luckily it had a peppercorn sauce on it that made it palatable and got me through half of it before I gave up.

On my way home neither my wife or myself felt very well and were worried the food was going to make us ill.

Unfortunately this restaurant has been left to decline in both food quality and atmosphere. I cannot reccomend this to any TA reader.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We eat at Trappers a few times a year. It is one of our favourite places to meet up with friends for dinner. We were just there this past weekend, four of us. We all chose from the prix fixe menu and we all ordered the same main dish, sea bass filet. Everyone was satisfied with the flavour, the amount of food and the presentation. The vegetables on the side were cooked perfectly, not over done at all. The desserts are amazing, a reasonable sized portion of chocolate truffle cake, carrot cake as well as a coconut lemon type cake. We all enjoyed our meal, with the exception of the lobster bisque, which my husband and I ordered off the a la carte menu. It was not as good as I thought it would be because the spice overpowered it, very peppery. My friends ordered the salad and the melted goat cheese with mushroom spinach. They both like their appetizers very much. We felt that the service could have been a little more attentive, but it was a very busy night for them. All in all though I would still recommend Trappers as a nice place to go for dinner and reasonably priced for a nice for what you get .

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We have been eating at Trappers for at least 20 years. Sometimes many months pass between visits but when we return we always wonder why. It is not the coolest restaurant in the hood but the food NEVER disappoints and neither does the menu. Unlike some of the newer eateries with their limited selections and exotic combinations that make trust in the chef a requisite for ordering, we have no problem finding several items to order and the only struggle is to chose. Somehow our favourites are always there no matter what additions have been made. The Trappers salad with its roasted peppers and feta is unlike any I have had. I always fear it will be gone or changed somehow but they know not to mess with perfection. On our last visit I had the steak, perfectly medium as ordered, well seasoned and tender along with their thin, crunchy frites. So good. My husband had the salmon which was paired with an array of vegetables so tasty that even a less than keen fan of veggies finished every last one. I know they were good because they also accompanied my steak. Service is friendly and professional. No need to head downtown when you can get food this good in North York.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Friendly management, friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating staff . All their dishes are made from scratch with fresh ingredients. Their prices are very reasonable and they don't gouge you on the wine. This is our go-to place for any occasion including private parties. Lots of parking, easily accessible from downtown or "up north", Trapper's is one of the best values in town. Sharon T.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I can't fault this restaurant at all. With another friend, we enjoyed attentive service, great food and a nice atmosphere. My friend appreciated the mussel appetizer and I loved the value offered by the prix fixe menu. My steak was perfect, with perfectly-cooked vegetables. Everything was right including the lovely cool air-conditioning on a hot summer day.

Since this restaurant is handy to work, I am certainly planning another visit.