“Probably the best option downtown”

The Pomegranate Persian Cuisine
Ranked #521 of 9,135 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 8, 2013

There are better Persian restaurants in the GTA, but none in the downtown core. The Pomegranate offers pretty good food, decent enough service and, most important to me, downtown ambiance - difficult to define.
Four stars is because in trying to be creative with the cuisine they slightly mess up with long defined ways of how to prepare particular dishes.
I'd definitely go back - in fact doing so on my birthday.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had a business dinner here and I can praise the food - the Kashk-e-Bademjoon was as good as I've ever had, in either Iran or Canada. I had an interesting version of Fesenjoon they created, where they replace the meat with shiitake mushrooms to make a vegetarian dish. Wonderful!

I take issue with the fact that when I asked the waitress for separate checks (right when ordering, too), she told us she couldn't do that, but could process multiple payments under a single check. Not helpful. Diners can have expensing rules to satisfy, and this really isn't asking for much.

The food made up for the attitude though, and I'd definitely go back!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Cozy but well decorated as a Persian restaurant. I should say that a lot of dishes are a bit tweaked away from the traditional style but definitely well done. We ordered chicken with plums stew and "Kashk o Bademjan" which were very authentically executed, "Zeytoon Parvarde" which was made into a paste unlike what I had always seen as stuffed pitted olives (tasted great though), and vegetarian "fesenjoon" replacing the meet with shiitake mushrooms (great initiative and great choice of mushroom ). Service was great too.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

very slow, bad attitude, the food wasn't tasty, very bad service, I am Persian and the food didn't taste good. it was very bla. but mainly how the restaurant is running with those staff its wrong.
I order a drink with my dinner the girl was sooo slow she brought my drink after my dinner. at the end she hand in a bill to me. I was on a date, in our culture in Persian restaurant bill always hand in to the gentlemen not ladies. I found that very rude. they girls who were working there were not friendly and they didn't seem like they wanted to be there. a busy restaurant needs a fast working staff

1  Thank 4monap
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We chose this place for our date night and were really impressed! From the moment you walk in, the decor will mezmerize you! It was exactly what we were looking for! Somewhere fun and new to have a quiet and romantic dinner together with a meaningfully-decorated interior. We ordered the noon-o paneer-o gerdu as an appetizer and were really impressed with the deliciousness of the combination of ingredients as well as the second bread basket we received without having to ask! For dinner we ordered two braised lamb entrées, the morasa and baqali polo. The lamb was cooked to perfection! Moist and tender beyond belief, it came apart with no effort and no knife required. Very easy to clean-- there were three large and easy to remove bones. The rice was different than anything we've had before which we loved! For dessert we had tea and the 3 sweet tray. Our favourite were the small flower shaped cookies, we would have taken more if we could!

Our server was amazingly sweet and charismatic, and we felt very well cared for throughout our dinner.

Highly recommended for those looking to try something new and ethnic in Toronto. The quality of the food and ingredients is wonderful and ambiance is perfectly romantic!