“Lalibela”

Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We have been in this restaurant more than ten times. Great authentic food. Usually I tried to order several dishes and shared among my family members. I tried to order with different sauces so the dishes would be sufficiently different. I tried many other Ethiopian restaurants but this one is the best.

1  Thank raf c

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I'm new to Ethiopian cuisine, so I can't comment on authenticity. I had the Lalibela Platter, which I enjoyed, however I'm not sure I would have it again (personal preference). Service was OK; my waitress was helpful in choosing a dish I would like, and was informative when I asked for an Ethiopian Coffee. Unfortunately she kept forgetting to actually give me the coffee. As far as I can tell, this would be a good place to return for Ethiopian food.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

we went there the 1st time because of a discount coupon, didnt know what to order so got a mixed veg/non-veg platter with about 10 different things on an injera. it was very good and filling. also tried their coffee service, having heard a lot about their coffee ceremony. its crazy! coffee jug comes up with a huge tray of popcorn and a strong incense burner ceremoniously whisked around your table! if you have smoke allergies or cannot eat tons of popcorn after a heavy meal, avoid this like the plague. good coffee though..

the next few times, and we have become experts. we always order the 'goden tibs', a heaping dish with juicy beef short-cut ribs and that heavenly layer of fat falling off the bone. the qty is sufficient for 2 of us and we still have leftovers. a lot of meat there. served with injera and baguette slices. i take the injera on the side, dont like it all soggy with the meat served on it. the meat is grilled with their unique spiced butter, diced veggies and sliced chilli peppers, a most delicious combination! i go there drooling and come out as satiated as hannibal, feeling like a glutton.

the restaurant ambience is kitschy, with 2 tv's running, one with cp24 permanently set and the other showing ethiopian songs and dances, but who cares when the food is so damn good and such value for money! there are always just 2 girls who run this place, they seem to manage pretty well considering they take orders, bring your food, serve you drinks, refill your glasses and everything else. they are stunning in both face and figures and i suspect that many regular single men who sit at their bar come only to ogle them! dont be fooled by their confident air, the girls hardly understand or speak english well.

service is okay, i have never had a mix up of our orders. they take a long time getting your bill though, as if they have no worries now since you are well-fed and purring. we have become regulars to this place. its become an addiction of sorts. what doesnt hurt is that 2 people can eat here, have a drink or 2 and still pay only 22-24 $. now what can beat that?

4  Thank cuudlybear69
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We eat here regularly and they welcome us using Groupon type coupons they offer every couple of months.

The Lalibela platter for 2 or the vegetarian version for 2 is delicious, just the right amount to fill 2 bellies. The ambience is fun, the servers cheerful.

When we found this place we abandoned our regular Ethiopian favorite place.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were a party of 6 and enjoyed a fun evening of great food and a new dining experience. the restaurant was fairly full, but we were still able to carry on easy conversations and the service was fast and friendly. We ordered the Lalibela platter which included a variety of dishes, vegetables and meats served on injera, which is like a very light bread. You break off pieces of the injera to use to scoop up the delectable treats on top. The dishes were wonderfully flavoured and while we were quite full, the dishes were light and not too heavy. In addition to the Lalibela platter, we also ordered a lamb dish that was divine, beautifully spiced. They had bottled beer and some on tap. It made for a great evening.