“Great place for dinner”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: John Street
Transit: Subway: 2- minute from St. Andrew Subway Station.
Description: Casual Bistro located in the heart of Entertainment District specialize in wood grilled steaks & lobster. Certified Angus, USDA Prime and Ontario Dry Aged Beef grilled over Canada"s first commercial indoor hickory & oak fired pellet char-broiler
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Service - Great - very pleasant and welcoming staff (granted it was a Monday night)
Decor - Good, clean restaurant
Food - Outstanding
Price - Mid-priced

Service details - I went on a Monday night when I was on a business trip. The hostess was very pleasant and inviting. The waitress was pleasant and accomodating. Granted, it was a Monday night.

Decor - Well lite, good music back ground level, open kitchen and it was not too loud.

Food - They had a special: Salad and dinner choice for 29.99 (great value) Ordered a basic green mesculan salad (very fresh and dressing was a balsalmic with horse radish - outstanding flavor). My dinner was a petite filet (about 6 oz) and brisket (about 6 oz). Both were very well prepared and delicious. It came with mashed potatoes that were good.

Price: Great value for 2 coarse dinner

Overall - Great place with great food that I will definitely go back to.

Great job and keep up the great work!!!!

1  Thank Michael M
There are newer reviews for Fred's Not Here Restaurant

Reviewed March 20, 2014

My friend and I were recently in Toronto staying at the Hyatt Regency. We were trying to decide where to eat, when I looked out our window to King Street and saw the sign for "Fred's Not Here". Loved the name, so we looked the menu up online and decided we had to try out this restaurant with the unforgettable name! We were seated quickly by our waiter Mark, who was very professional, and was able to give up some great tips on our choices from their menu. We decided to start with some yummy lobster and crab soup which was presented with a puff pastry cap, and then moved to round 2 which was the most incredible seafood paella I have ever eaten. I am so glad we only ordered one to share at the portion was huge. It was well presented, with half a lobster centred over a bed of rice filled with seafood....scallops, shrimp, calamari, etc. What a feast! We had to order dessert to go...there was no way we could eat another bite! For a great dining experience while in Toronto, you have got to visit "Fred's not Here" Looking forward to taking my husband with me the next time!!! :)

1  Thank AngieORN
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My spouse and I recently dined here before taking in a show at a nearby theatre.
I'll start with the service - Really quite good. Very professional server, friendly and accomodating host. No complaints at all in this area.
Started off with apps of the Crab and Lobster soup, and an Iceberg Wedge salad. Soup was reasonably good, but not THAT good, as some of the reviews suggest. Cornbread served up in the bread basket was also yummy. The salad served to my wife however, had old, brown iceberg lettuce (browned all the way through - must have been quite old). We sent it back, and it was replaced with one that was acceptable. That said, still nothing exceptional, just OK. I know that lettuce isn't exactly in season, but it speaks to poor quality controls and expediting to let something that was visibly in quite bad shape, out of the pass and on to the guest.
My wife had a California cut steak, I had the USDA Prime. My steak was fairly tender, but underseasoned. I had to add salt to bring out any flavour. I've honestly had much better USDA Prime - should have knocked the socks off, but didn't do that. My wife's steak was tough, underseasoned, pretty stringy and not very good. For desert we split a tiramisu, which was tasty.
Overall, pretty expensive for just an OK steak dinner. This place is supposed to be specialize in steak, and has been around a long time, so it's hard to take that the Keg actually serves up one better than this.
Good service is really only reason this gets an average rating instead of poor. Value of dollars to what you get is not worth it. Won't be back.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

This is another of the unique restaurants along two blocks on King to try out. We decided on this one as it seemed fairly busy and that is usually a good sign. I would say though that it was between average and good for food and service but we might still try it again on the next trip there.

A couple of us wnt with the winterlicious menu and stared with the "Famous Baked Crab and Lobster Soup, it was quite good although I don't know about fame invoking goodness. Two of us had the 10oz California Cut New York Sirloin w/ mushrooms, mine was relatively tough though, not a great cut of steak, but the flavor was good as were the mushrooms. The third in our party had the Moqueca Brazilian Seafood Stew and thought it was quite good and well worth ordering.

I am still intrigued by their tag line of "Wood Grilled Steaks", I may have to go back again to see if they can;t give it another shot in the steak department for me. I grill steaks all the time and just was not impressed.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was here for my birthday and was blown away. The lobster soup was divine, the pork was perfectly cooked and I kept on stealing my poor partners duck. The service was also wonderful (great wine suggestion Matt) and they even surprised me with cake.

1  Thank nbatinica