“lovely service and atmosphere”
Review of EPIC

EPIC
Ranked #53 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Transit: Directly across the street from Union Station.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stopped here briefly for lunch, in the lounge area. A nice menu, with food skillfully prepared and superb service. Truly wonderful to find staff who are professional welcoming and friendly, no attitude.

RoyalYorkHotel, Ashley, Customer Service, The Fairmont Royal York at EPIC, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Thank you for your review, we are thrilled to know that our staff were welcoming and professional and that your food was skillfully prepared. We look forward to our next opportunity to host you.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Well if "Dave 151's" review of 28th January really was "shared with" chef and management they very quickly forgot any lesson learned. This is the first place ever in North America where I have been moved to write the word "NONE" against the gratuity invitation n the bill!
We were staying in the hotel and had a reservation in Epic. Arrived a little early and registered with the desk telling them we'd have a dink in the bar. Drinks OK but nobody offered menus or approached to say our table was ready. Eventually, at our request, we were shown to table; then the fun began. I had a query about a Canadian wine, the waiter disagreed with my comment (not good training) but at least offered me a sample, which helped me decide that we wanted Canadian Pinot Grigio. When I ordered a bottle the same waiter countermanded my choice and suggested Itallian PG. I told him that I wanted local wines as I stock and sell Itallian PG which I can drink any day I like. It was all downhill from then; he became surly and the food became dreadful. Avoid at all costs the "Epic Signature Chowder" its NOT chowder and its practically tasteless. My main course was very disappointing and others in the party were equally unenthralled. all in all the worst experience we had in Toronto. It's doubly disappointing because the hotel itself and staff are so wonderful. As we left the restaurant manager offfered aplogies but tempered it by saying that the particular waiter was loved and respected by his colleagues! Really? Does this manager think they pay the bills rather than customers? In fairness we did receive a personal note of apology and compimentary fruit plate in the morning but I'd be much happier thinking somebody really got a grip of service and food quality in this restaurant. Actually, if the management visited "Canoe" they'd see how it should be done. I suggested this but think it went unrecognised.

1  Thank LancashireVoyager

While we are sorry to learn of your experience, we appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize for our breakdown in service and quality and for my failure to respond to your review sooner. We take our guests’ comments seriously and I invite you to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this at greater length.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have visited this restaurant many times in the past and the experience has always been pleasant. This visit was no different except it got off to a very slow start from a service point of view. This was a bit confusing as there were lots of wait staff present. It took probably 10 minutes just to place a drink order.
Service picked up noticeably when Tom arrived and took over our table. He was attentive and provided great service.
In general food prices at the Royal York at on the high end of the scale. If a party of two want more than one drink with their meal be prepared to pay more than $100.00.
The food is consistently good, and the complimentary biscotti and macaroons served with tea or coffee are a nice touch.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Loved my Winterlicious lunch today. So difficult to choose as all of the options sounded delicious. Our group ending up sharing and sampling. I always love the setting with the Venetian glassware and Venetian chandeliers. Today the flowers were very fragrant and beautifully arranged. Our table had a lovely terra cotta rosemary plant from the hotel's herb garden. A beautiful lunch.

RoyalYorkHotel, Katharine, Customer Service at EPIC, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

I am delighted to learn you loved your Winterlicious lunch in EPIC. It is always wonderful to receive positive feedback. I am happy you not only enjoyed the menu offerings, also the ambience of EPIC. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had a problem with the restaurant, EPIC. We at the Royal York late in the afternoon. Our kids we hungry. We thought it may be a good idea to eat in the hotel. Quick & easy. Went to EPIC. Waited at the front desk for about 10 minutes. Wait staff saw us but no one approached. My wife finally went to the bar to get someone. We were seated but told that the dinner menu hadn't started yet, but if we wait for a while it will. Waiter seemed like he was put out the entire time. Don't think he liked kids. Dinner for my wife and was good but not spectacular. My bottle of beer was warm. Both kids (6 & 4) ordered macaroni & cheese. For about $9 each, they received Kraft Dinner. Really? The Royal York serves Kraft Dinner? Bill ended up being about $90 for 2 club sandwiches, a beer, a Caesar (the drink, not the salad), some raw vegetables & 2 bowls of Kraft Dinner! What a rip off! We may stay at the Royal York again, but will not eat at EPIC again!

2  Thank Dave151

Thank you for sharing your recent dining experience. I have reached out to you directly under a separate cover to extend a personal apology. I would like to sincerely apologize for your disappointment with your meal and our service shortfalls experienced in EPIC. Your feedback has been shared with our Executive Chef and EPIC team as your dining experience was in no way indicative of the level of quality and service we strive to provide.