“lively atmosphere with some good wines and appetizers”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Crush Wine Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Crush Wine Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: Wine Bar, American, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: King, West of Spadina
Transit: Public Transit: Via the TTC. Take the westbound streetcar form St. Andrew subway station (King Street) to Spadina Ave., or from the Spadina Subway Station, take the Spadina streetcar southbound to King Street. Crush is located just west of Spadina on the south side of King Street West.
WashingtonDC
“lively atmosphere with some good wines and appetizers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

My partner and I went to Crush on the recommendation of the concierge at our hotel when we asked for a fun wine bar before our main dinner later that night. When we got there on a Saturday night, the place was kind of empty, but it is a gorgeous space and we really liked the vibe. Even though there were plenty of tables available, we opted to sit at the bar since this is a wine bar and we wanted to interact with the bartender and not be stuck at a table. Since it was a slow night, we were able to interact a lot with the various bartenders that came around.

Their wine list was not huge, but I did like that there were a lot of options for flights of wine. I personally enjoy wine flights so I can try out a few wines as opposed to stick with a big glass of one. As we were just visiting Toronto, I was surprised to learn that there are so many varietals of wine produced in the Niagara area. I tried a flight of whites from the area, and I was not disappointed. The bartender did say that they were three of the six wines in our flights (we both got a flight), so that's a little odd. He exchange them for what he said were better wines. I was not disappointed, I'm just pointing that out.

Since we were hungry, we opted for a few of their small dishes before dinner. They have a good number of cheeses on offer, and the bartender tailored our cheeseboard to what types of cheese we like and what wines we ordered, which was nice. We also got two of the bar appetizers, but even though they're only available on weeknights, as it was a slow weekend night, they made it for us anyway. The braised duck poutine was very tasty, and well-executed relative to the other poutines I've had. We also had the calamari with salsa Verde and another red sauce (I forget the name), and it was nothing special.

Overall, we had a good time at Crush, and even though we did not sit down for one of the dinner entrées, I would come back for either the dinner or just sitting at the bar. The service was friendly and the atmosphere was warm, even though the restaurant was not entirely full while we were there.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank jg325

Ontario
“Excellent Food, Great Service, Only Good Value...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Had an early dinner at Crush with friends before going out to theatre.
On the plus side:
1. Great cocktails: my wife's new favorite cocktail is called Tequila Tormentso, a mix of tequila, lime and ginger beer!
2. Good service: only because when we arrived we were perhaps the only table in the restaurant, and we asked if we could perhaps move our table. We were informed that wasn't possible because of "special requests" (a little disappointing). Otherwise service was very good.
3. Excellent food: not one issue here. Everything from the Seared Scallops and Pork Belly appetizer to the Fish Soup, Yellow Brick Road Trout and Ontario Lamb Saddle were delicious. The wines we chose were outstanding.
On the negative side:
We don't mind paying well for a great meal, and actually appreciate that the servings were not too large; however the prices for the wines seem too steep. If you know and enjoy Crush's wines, you will know how much they or similar products will cost in the LCBO and the significant mark-ups take away from the enjoyment of the overall meal. It doesn't cost any more to serve and store; therefore I always think the value should be passed on to appreciative customers.

So all in all, worth a try, but you will pay fairly steeply for the experience. In the competitive King Street area other restaurants can challenge for overall value.

• Visited December 2012
London, Ontario
“The tastiest and will be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stopped by for lunch and a glass of wine in the summer and loved it. Our waiter was super and we almost wanted to lick the shine off our plates because everything was perfect. Will be back again.

• Visited August 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Out In The Cold”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

On Sunday,November 18th,2012,I called Crush Wine Bar &Restaurant,left a telephone message for a reservation,for that evening,at 5:30 when the restaurant opens.,and I left my contact phone number. At 5:10,no response back from the restaurant...checked their web site to make sure they were still open..yes they were. My husband and I arrived at the restaurant at 5:15 to find the manager outside the restaurant. We were told the restaurant was closed for a private function,which the manager said,had just been booked.No sign of any kind indicating this on the door of their establishment,nor on their web site,when checked at 5;10 pm. Asked ,what about our telephone message from early morning regarding our reservation...the manager told us,no time to check the messages.
I would have liked to review this restaurant..I am left wondering why the manager left us standing there in front of the restaurant,shrugged sorry..and that was that.

Pearlie13

• Visited November 2012
Tillsonburg, Canada
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have been to Crush two times now and i have to say this is an outstanding restaurant. First off the wine list is enormous. We love to see that there are lots of Ontario VQA wines. There are many listed from all over the world but their VQA list is long. Being from Ontario we always order Ontario wines as they are some of the very best. There are so many to choose from i guarantee you will be stuck but i will tell you that their servers are second to none and are very knowledgeable. Let them know what you like in a wine and they will recommend something that will be perfect. Their menu is inventive and any dish would be amazing. The restaurant has a great ambiance to it with the exposed brick walls and is perfect for a romantic dinner togeather. We personally love the Charcuterie board and the Seared Scallops. Next time we go to Toronto this will be our stop for dinner.

• Visited October 2012