“great find, fantastic value, hidden gem”
Review of Corned Beef House

Corned Beef House
Ranked #363 of 8,947 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Diner, Cafe
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Reviewed February 20, 2012

fabulous find in downtown toronto. You have to order the greek salad, and their name sake, corn beef sandwich. Great service, and Rob the owner is making sure the food is perfect everytime.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

we presented our company to a bkge firm on Bay Street, and they preordered from your establishment. Wonderful idea, as we witnessed all the brokers wolfing down your remarkable sandwiches. The platters were sensational being fruit and veggies.

You now have new customers. Signed Keith Bullen

Reviewed October 14, 2011

The crisp fries at the Corned beef House are hands down the best ones ever. The smoked meat and corned beef are moist and salted just right and probably the best we've had in Toronto. Our server Jermaine's jovial nature made the whole meal experience much more enjoyable. We will definitely be eating there again.

1  Thank foodie_3339
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The two star rating is for the service, and particularly for the way Jermaine tried to salvage the situation when he found out we had not enjoyed our meals. Unfortunately we had used a Groupon, so giving a refund or discounting the bill further was not an option -- I'm sure he would otherwise have done so, as he seemed genuinely concerned about our feelings.

Now the negatives: this restaurant appears to share a kitchen with the separate establishment below, and definitely shares washrooms. The stair landing leading to those washrooms is black as night -- lights are definitely needed here! Kitchen service is rather slow at peak times -- not a good place to go for an express lunch.

The menu mentions only bottle beer choices, making no mention of the much more interesting draft choices. You'd have to get up go to look at the bar to see those. The sandwich platters are a generous size, but that's not much consolation when the beer is the best part of the meal. My dark rye bread tasted fresh and flavourful, but my partner's onion kaiser was bland and tasteless. I had the same reaction to the Montreal smoked meat which to me was woefully under-seasoned compared to my favourite Montreal delis. I should say in the Corned Beef House's defence that I have never found a deli anywhere in Toronto that could get it right for my taste. The smoked turkey had no smoke flavour at all and tasted like the sort of turkey roll you could get at any grocery store. The potato salad was served in generous quantity, but likewise not very interesting in flavour. So, while I appreciate the efforts of the staff to rectify the situation, I honestly couldn't say that I would ever plan to return here.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

We had a really great dinner at the Corned Beef House. The bread was really fresh, the meat yummy and the fries were the crispiest and best tasting we have had in a long time. Jermaine took care of us and he is funny, quick and very personable. We will definitely return!!