“An Excellent Place”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Calgary Alberta Canada
“An Excellent Place”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My partner and I went to this restaurant early on a Saturday evening - we did not have a reservation but were seated at a table in an area of the restaurant we wanted. Immediately we received food and drink menus. There is a good wine list and the food menu is impressive by the scope of food offered and ingredients used. We ordered a bottle of red wine and it appeared quickly with some complimentary hummus which was accompanied by super fresh bread and very tasty crackers. Honestly, this is some of the best hummus I have ever had - what a great start to what turned out to be a really good meal. I should mention that the room is clean, modern design, good lighting, moderate music - i.e. easy to have a normal conversation without yelling. We had some PEI mussels to start. They are prepared in a cream sauce with herbs, cider and smoked bacon for flavour. We enjoyed them but warn that some people may find the bacon adds a bit too much salt taste. I then enjoyed a pizza made with pesto, olives, garlic, artichokes and feta cheese - man was it good ! My partner had the baby pork ribs which were prepared in a chipotle molasses sauce. He did not even have to use his knife once to eat the ribs. They were slow cooked and literally fell off the bone with the touch of a fork. He said they were superb. We were pretty full so declined dessert. The service was always attentive and not at all rushed or intrusive. We noticed the upscale bar in the place serving cocktails of all kinds which the guests seemed to be enjoying. This place is recommended highly. It is referred to on some sites as a tad expensive but we found the prices competitive and not at all out of line for the food, drink and service received. We will return here when we next visit Toronto.

• Visited July 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Very expensive and not what it used to be. No atmosphere”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was there on Saturday night with a friend, at around 8h30. The place was not too busy which was a surprise for me, since this place used to be very busy in the past espacially on Saturday night. We were on our way to another restaurant on Church, but when we saw that there was a couple of tables free by the window, we decided to stop here. We got a table right away, again, to my big suprise because of the time and on a Saturday night. It was my first time since at least a year, so, I was glad to be here. This place always been know as being expensive, but now, it is very expensive for what you get. I had the beef tenderloin at $32. and very small and cold. First disapointment. The wine list is also very expensive. Second disapointment. There was a table of 6 behind us and the clients were VERY noisy, I turn around 3 times to see what was going on, the waiters saw me to turn around each time, but nobody asked that group to tone down a bit.Third disapointment. We could not wait to get out of there. So, I will never go back at Byzantium and I will be very surprised if they go through summer. Really not what it used to be. I used to be proud to bring my out of town friends there, but not anymore, there are better choices on Church Street and in the Yorkville area, for better prices and more atmosphere. I really feel like to take the gay clientele for granted. Mistake. We are no longer tied to the Village.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Last Chance, and it lost!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have been to this popular, downtown Toronto restaurant many times. It is where we have celebrated many special occasions. We stopped going here a year or more ago when we found the service and quality started to decline. While searching for somewhere to celebrate New Year's Eve, we thought why not give it another chance. Perhaps it had improved since our last visit. Its last chance went downhill from the moment we walked in the door. They had no record of our reservation. We had specifically requested a table at the front of the restaurant, which was confirmed over the phone. After waiting several minutes, they found a table for us at the very back of the restaurant, in an area that I'm sure was once a storage room. Dark, gloomy, no atmosphere whatsoever. We were hoping for a leisurely dinner, but were constantly being asked if we were ready to order drinks, or dinner, or dessert or coffee. The only satisfying part of our meals, were the salads. The butter chicken was tough, and the schnitzel tasted like something from a school cafeteria. When we declined coffee and dessert, the table was swiftly cleared, and we were asked if we would mind sitting at the bar because there were people "patiently waiting" for our table. Will we give them a second "last chance"? No way. In a city with thousands of restaurants, this one is definitely off our list.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Terryloves2travel
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable meal”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

10pm in the gay village on a Saturday night in Toronto does not offer too many dining options, it would seem, unless you fancy a kebab or KFC. However, this place was still serving for a bit longer before the disco lights got turned on so we grabbed a table & ordered quickly. The food was actually good; quite unusual flavours & very large quantities. Atmosphere was a bit weird for dinner, as everyone else in the place was already on cocktails getting ready for a boogie, but no complaints about the food.

• Visited October 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
“food great when I dinned there”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I've had mixed reviews. I went early and ate along and I found the food to be delicious. I had to wait a while to get helped even there were only several tables being use. But for the rest of the evening, it was a delicions dinner overall.

Visited June 2012