“Last minute decision.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bymark

Bymark
Reserve with OpenTable
Bymark is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #297 of 8,432 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian, International
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: Bay
Ontario
“Last minute decision.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

After being at a fundraiser at the Toronto Club, my friend and I were hungry and thirsty. We had valeted our car, earlier at Bymark. We decided to have something to eat before our journey home. Lobster poutine, with a glass of Californian Chardonnay, perfect. An entertaining server made our presence welcome.

Visited April 2013

Guelph, Canada
“Good, with a few minor glitches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Ate a special birthday dinner at Bymark with my wife. Was very excited to finally eat at this restaurant, so highly reviewed and publicized for years.

Finding Bymark on a weekend is not easy, as it's in the financial district (empty streets and tumbleweeds) and is housed in the basement of a giant office tower. Dimly lit, subtly branded, a person has to work to see where it is. However, we did find it, and were warmly greeted at the hostess station. Coats were taken and we were shown to our table immediately.

The restaurant was largely empty, however, we were seated right next to another couple, at a table less than a foot away from theirs. There were empty tables throughout the restaurant, and we had a long-standing reservation, so this felt a bit like an unnecessary move. We spent our dinner pointedly trying to preserve our bubble of privacy. Given that the place never ever filled up, it was really unfortunate to have this unnecessary closeness with other patrons.

This aside, service was attentive and gracious. Our server was polite and inconspicuous.

The Bymark wine list is astounding, as is the bar list. I would have loved some recommendations from the server, or perhaps a sommelier on site, but maybe that's considered too pushy these days.

Menu is diverse and balanced. Our salads were creative and tasty, though the deconstructed Caesar is a bit challenging to eat for its massive leaves of Romaine. When our mains finally arrived (we watched the runner carry them to the wrong table, return to the kitchen, come back out again, wander around, and just as he was about to go back to the kitchen, I flagged him down to point out that he had our plates. This seemed a bit odd for a place of such quality, but in the end, it wasn't a huge deal) the food was still hot and it was really well crafted. My lamb was tender, and my wife's halibut was buttery perfection. Portions were on the small side -- reasonable, not excessive.

Our shared dessert was just enough to finish without stuffing us. We partook of post-dinner drinks (port for me, tea for my wife) and enjoyed the array of choices.

All in all, a pleasant experience, and a great meal. The dark, bunker-like environment is a bit depressing, and seems put-on, but the food and wine list make it irrelevant. Definitely worth a visit if you want fine dining in a creative way. Here's hoping they aren't resting on their name, and can avoid the service glitches for future guests.

• Visited May 2013
Poipu, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bymark my favourite place to eat in Toronto”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I should confess before starting that I am a regular patron to Bymark and the reason is both the food and the service as well as location to both downtown and the ACC . The menu is varied and changes but I have found that if you like your vegetables steamed as I do or you wish something from the lunch menu at dinner they will accommodate if available . Extensive wine list as well as good wine by the glass. Steaks are a real surprise given this is not a steakhouse. Excellent ! Service is always good and I feel like Im at home . It is pricy but you get what you pay for and the fact that I go back again and again shows my level of satisfaction. The Halibut is great when available as is the steamed spinach the beats and don t forget the fries in a paper cup . A little cream brûlée and a capaccino and your done . For me. Always excellent.

• Visited March 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Terrible Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I am a regular at this restaurant for business lunches. Bymark is considered amoung the best in the downtown business district and a reliable place to eat for those who can afford an expensive meal. I have always been treated with respect and the experiance has always been consistent with the better restaurants in Toronto. My recent experiance on the evening Monday April 22 was nothing short of terrible. The waiter was beyond indifferent. I have never seen such poor service in a quality restaurant as this and never have I seen a waiter who cared less about his customers. Given it was Monday night there were very few patrons in the restaurant thus the extremely poor service could not be a product of a busy restaurant. The waiter simply did not care. To make matters worse it took forever to get served our meals. In light of the fact we ordered very standard food the long wait was beyond comprehension. I am at a complete loss to explain this terrible experiance as I know Bymark is better than this. As for the food it was fine but the service ruined our evening. I would caution patrons against going on a quiet night as obviously they bring in c class staff to serve their customers on a slow night. How disappointing!!

• Visited April 2013
Orinda, California
“Good vibe, good service, good food...can be pricey.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Was on a business trip to Toronto and came here with a few co-workers for dinner. The restaurant is downstairs and a bar with some outdoor seating upstairs. First impression of the bar: trendy with a lot of suits and business attire. Good scene.

Got seated right away because we had a reservation. Highly recommend reservation. It did get crowded real quickly. Hostess was pleasant, server was nice. Wasn't as attentive as some of the other reviewers posted, but I wouldn't say it was "bad" service.

Started with some wine, drinks, oysters, shrimp tacos, soups and Italian sausages. Portions are small as one would expect in a pricey restaurant. Warning, the shrimp tacos are very very small. I mean tiny, but they were quite good. Food was fresh and good. For the entrees, we ordered the surf n turf, the special which was a hand made penne pasta with lobster, the stuffed tortellini. No complaints from the table. When the food came, we were pretty much silent as we were enjoying the food.

We ended the night with a few drinks upstairs.

The place has a good vibe, food is good, staff responsive but it is quite pricey. With drinks, appetizers, main, and a dessert, expect to pay well over $100 per person.

• Visited April 2013